ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] PRO WG: Draft Survey

  • To: "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] PRO WG: Draft Survey
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:06:00 -0400

All,

Some potential definitions for consideration:

Sunrise period:  Period of time, before registration is open to the
general public, during which domain name registration is limited to
owners of specifically delineated intellectual property or analogous
rights for domain names that match/correspond to/are identical to those
delineated prior rights.  Of the TLDs encompassed by this survey, the
registries for the .info and .mobi gTLDs and the .eu ccTLD provided
Sunrise periods. The .info and .mobi registries restricted eligible
intellectual property rights to registered trademarks or service marks
of national or supranational effect that had issued by registry-specific
deadlines and were in force as of the Sunrise registration application
filing date.  The .eu registry also included company name, business
names, personal names, and [] as prior rights on which otherwise owners
of such rights could base a Sunrise registration.

Sunrise Challenge:  Dispute resolution process whereby an unsuccessful
Sunrise-eligible applicant challenges the Sunrise registration of
another on the ground that the other's Sunrise registration violated the
Sunrise registration conditions.