ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] PRO WG: Draft Survey

  • To: gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] PRO WG: Draft Survey
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:32:40 -0700

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
First, the questions where I believe a *no opinion* option should be
added:<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, and
29.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">(Note that question 7 is missing the check boxes
altogether.)<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
Second, I apologize for not being available until this week and have not
had the opportunity to review the survey until today. I understand the desire
to move this along quickly, but after further thought and review&nbsp;I don't
think&nbsp;the survey&nbsp;is&nbsp;ready for prime time. There are really two
surveys being attempted here and they are intertwined in a way that I believe
is going to risk the integrity of the results. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
There is one subset of the survey questions that attempt to collect
information on past/existing mechanisms &ndash; were they used by the
respondent, how were they used, what were the results, etc. These pertain to
principal task a) as described in the Background section.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
There is another subset of the questions that attempt to collect
opinions on how things should work going forward with new TLDs. Those are the
questions we have heard the most concerns about today, questions 23 and 24 for
example. These pertain to principal b) as described in the Background
section.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
I strongly suggest that we either split these out into two distinct
surveys (my preference) or that at the very least we regroup them into two
distinct sections on this single survey with an appropriate explanation and/or
purpose statement for each based on a) and b) in the
Background.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Questions that should go with a):<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">1-7, 9-11, and 17-21<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Questions that should go with b):<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">8, 12-16, 22-29<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
Questions 6 and 7 are somewhat border line and I could live with them
being in either group. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>
Either way (combined or separate) I think we should spend more time
appropriately framing the questions I&nbsp;have grouped in b), and make sure
that all participants have had ample opportunity to get their ideas
incorporated.</o:p></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P><BR><BR>Tim Ruiz<BR>Vice
President<BR>Corp. Development &amp; Policy<BR>The Go Daddy Group, Inc.<BR><BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE:
[gnso-pro-wg] PRO WG: &nbsp;Draft Survey<BR>From: Tim Ruiz
&lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Tue, April 10, 2007 9:35 pm<BR>To:
"Neuman,Jeff" &lt;Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: Mike Rodenbaugh
&lt;mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;, gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR><BR>

<DIV>
I agree with Jeff's reasons for why both questions have absolutely no
place on this questionaire, and in fact I believe both questions threaten the
survey's intergrity as they are clearly leading.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>
I thought the goal of the survey was to gather information. I don't see
us yet at the point where we are ready to shop ideas around. There certainly
has been no discussion or established&nbsp;consensus among us&nbsp;about rapid
take down as a possible&nbsp;mechanism.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV><BR>Tim Ruiz<BR>Vice President<BR>Corp. Development &amp; Policy<BR>The Go
Daddy Group, Inc.<BR>Mobile: 319-329-9804<BR>Office: 319-294-3940<BR>Fax:
480-247-4516<BR><A
onclick="Popup.composeWindow('pcompose.php?sendto=tim%40godaddy.com');; return
false;" href="mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx";
target=_blank>tim@xxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><BR>How am I doing? Please contact my
direct supervisor at <A
onclick="Popup.composeWindow('pcompose.php?sendto=president%40godaddy.com');;
return false;" href="mailto:president@xxxxxxxxxxx";
target=_blank>president@xxxxxxxxxxx</A> with any feedback.<BR><BR>
This email message and any attachments hereto is intended for use only
by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or
confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any copy
of this message and its attachments.<BR><BR></DIV>

<DIV name="wmMessageComp"><BR><BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] PRO WG:
&nbsp;Draft Survey<BR>From: "Neuman, Jeff"
&lt;Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Tue, April 10, 2007 8:06 pm<BR>To:
"Mike Rodenbaugh" &lt;mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;,
&lt;gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR><PRE>I think in the end you made my point.
 The focus of this working

group

(which is really a subset of the new gTLD process) is to focus on NEW

gTLDs and those issues that are UNIQUE to the introduction of new

gTLDs.  The focus, in my opinion, should NOT be on issues that apply

across the board to all gTLDs today.

In other words, Sunrise processes or IP claims processes are UNIQUE

issues to introducing new gTLDs and do not apply to existing TLDs

today.  Thus, they should be addressed in this working group.

Contrast that with typosquatting, Phishing, malware, bots, etc. and

protection of other rights which are NOT UNIQUE to new gTLDs and may

be issues for all TLDs.  This should be the subject of a separate PDP

that applies to all gTLDs.

Again this is my opinion.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.

Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  &amp; Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.