ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] NEW APPROACH TO WORK OF WG

  • To: "Peter Gustav Olson - pgo" <pgo@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] NEW APPROACH TO WORK OF WG
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:15:58 -0400

I may be speaking out of turn, but I do not believe registries will ever accept
the notion of reserving trademark names and keeping them out of the TLD simply
because one or more trademark owners claim rights in the name.  That makes no
sense from a TLD branding perspective.  In addition, there are very few
examples of a trademark that is only owned by one party.  There is no such
thing in US law or otherwise that I am aware of that grant trademark rights "in
gross" that apply to every class of goods and/or services.  Thus, one party
reserving a domain name and keeping that name out of the pool of available
names is depriving other trademark (or non-trademark) owners from having and
USING that name.

Please also keep in mind that registries have an interest in ensuring that
names are registered AND USED.  The "and used" part is key.  A name that is
registered (or reserved), but not used, while it does bring in some revenue, is
worthless from a branding and marketing perspective.

Too often people lose sight of the fact that each TLD is based on its own
unique business model and is designed to provide other services other than the
registration of domain names.  In fact, with respect to the new TLDs that I
know of that will be proposed in the future, almost all of them are based on a
value proposition that is greater than the mere registration of a domain name.
Most of them are based on the provision of other services that are unrelated to
the domain name.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.