ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Online polling results: summary

  • To: "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Online polling results: summary
  • From: "Smith, Kelly W" <kelly.w.smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:10:34 -0700

All,

I will have to join today's call late, but want to respond to Liz's
point about the relatively low level of defensive registrations as a
percentage of domain name portfolios, and the cost impact of defensive
registrations.

Even if a rights holder has defensive registrations as a low percentage
of the names in its portfolio, the associated cost may be quite high.
Taking Intel as an example, the costs set aside for sunrise
registrations for new TLDs introduced each year reflects a higher
percentage of the annual budget than you might infer from the relatively
low percentage of defensive registrations in the overall portfolio.  The
cost for a single defensive registration (the registry cost plus the
cost I am charged by a domain name management vendor to manage the
application process) can be in the thousands of dollars.  The cost
impact of defensive registrations is high when you look at the initial
cost relative to other registrations.

Kelly

Kelly W. Smith
Senior Attorney