ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] 9 April Call Summary, Action Item List, and Additional Call Scheduled

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] 9 April Call Summary, Action Item List, and Additional Call Scheduled
  • From: "Smith, Kelly W" <kelly.w.smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:15:17 -0700

All,

As an initial matter, I agree with Lance in an earlier e-mail thread
regarding the statement "It is also understood that the overriding
recommendation of this WG will be that the selection of such processes
should be left up to the gTLD Registry Operators."  I do agree that
there is no one-size fits all rights protection mechanism, and that for
sponsored TLDs no RPM may be necessary (beyond the limited definition of
eligibility and naming requirements).  I envision that the registry
operators will propose RPMs in their applications for a new TLD, but
that ICANN would have some input into the adequacy of the mechanism.

Following is my list of the RPM proposals/recommendations/practices I
think are most important.

1.  Sunrise Period.  If a new TLD is to include a Sunrise Period, I
recommend that a registry should require that the Prior Right be in
existence for a certain length of time before the Sunrise Period, to
address the issue of getting "quickie" trademark registrations (e.g. in
jurisdictions with no review for relative grounds) on the eve of the
Sunrise Period.   I am in favor of an auction procedure for competing
domain name applications by Prior Rights holders, as opposed to a First
Come First Served process.  I believe that Validation of Prior Rights
may only be necessary to the extent there are competing applications.  I
support the idea of an outsourced Standard Sunrise Service Provider.

2.  Name String Notification/Name-String Watch Service and Notification.
I support this model (in conjunction with a Sunrise Peroid), at least up
to the point that a challenged domain name applicant needs to verify its
intention to continue its application in the face of the claimed Prior
Right.  I think this may be enough of an incentive against abusive
registrations (as was shown in .biz, where a large percentage of
challenged applicants did not pursue the application), provided that the
verification of intention to continue cannot be automated by companies
automating the registration of domain names (e.g. perhaps a signed
document would need to be submitted).  I think that in any STOP or
similar mechanism, it is problematic to require the challenged applicant
to deposit money pending the outcome of a dispute, since good faith
applicants may not be able to afford such a sum.

Regards,

Kelly Smith