ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

Re: [gnso-pro-wg] Revised Proposals Chart Based on Today's Meeting

  • To: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pro-wg] Revised Proposals Chart Based on Today's Meeting
  • From: <franks@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:58:50 -0500

Mike,

In all fairness, I think you're being overly dramatic about the state of
affairs in which we all find ourselves..  The UDRP "is cheap" when you bear in
mind that the cost to unseat a true squatter from 150 or 300 typo domain
variations is lower on a per-offence basis than unseating said squatter from 1
single offending registration.  Wholesale squatting is cheaper to deal with via
UDRP. All offenses are "alleged" until proven. I have won 13 UDRP decisions
against over reaching entities so I have plenty of real-world experience
relating to the desire of trademark holders to impugn the rights of generic
registrants. These UDRP costs are distributed across millions of mark-holders.
Surely mark holders should be obligated to pay "some cost" for trying to claim
rights? I do not view those costs as onerously as you do. It is a subjective
optic.

I think IP holders need to take a more pragmatic view of the battle they are
fighting. Trademark violations in odd strings or namespaces without traffic are
just not worth fighting.  Anybody with a can of spray-paint can violate Yahoo's
trademark rights by running around the city and graffiti painting "Yahoo" on
the side of buses. Do mark holders want to follow these millions of folks
whitewashing the violations?

The answer IP stakeholders seem to be drilling to is "No, we want to stop
selling paint"..  or "We want to have a say who can buy what paint".

That's just not fair for the Fox to say to the Hens Mike. I see it as a
dangerous potential for over-reaching, particularly when the most flagrant
violations of trademark strings in the browser are given a free pass by this
group. Every day Yahoo, Microsoft and Google "steal traffic" from
trademark-holders and from me via toolbars and browser error search.  I see
these groups in no better light than the squatters. Typing "Intel.xom" or .cpm
and watching it resolve (via the browser) to an error search page monetized by
Yahoo, or MSN or Firefox may be gentrified stealing, but it is stealing all the
same. I don't view what we're discussing here so much like a battle for IP
holders rights as a battle for ill-gotten traffic.  How can the large media
companies unseat squatters to recover more error search via the browser?

You've been a touch dramatic here Mike so allow me:  "There is no freedom
without justice and some of these changes smack of injustice to domain
registrants and registrars". Comparing registrars to flea markets is just not a
balanced viewpoint. Show some balance and I'll show some love.

Frank.