ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg]

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg]
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 07:52:32 -0700

I&nbsp;admit to my often US centric explanation of things. It certainly
isn't that I don't understand the International nature and impact of what we
often deal with in ICANN circles and others. It's a matter of better educating
myself regarding those natures and impacts.</div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: Re:
[gnso-pro-wg]<BR>From: Avri Doria &lt;avri@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Sat, May 19,
2007 9:02 am<BR>To: Tim Ruiz &lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: Liz Williams
&lt;liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx&gt;, &nbsp;gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR><BR><PRE>Hi,

I can support it.   Even Principe D: even though I tend to support
lower fees for registrants and will argue for them whenever possible,
I do not think that ICANN's purview includes setting or limiting
these fees.

The only minor comment i might make is that that in B1 it might be
useful to indicate that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as
well as other international declarations of rights have the similar
concepts.

E.g UDHR

Preamble:
Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and
inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the
foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

Article 2.

       Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth
in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race,
colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national
or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no
distinction shall be made on the basis of the political,
jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to
which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-
governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

So I would suggest changing it to something similar:

The concept embodied in the above definition is espoused in The
Universal Declaration of Human Rights as well the Declaration of
Independence of the United States of America, ...

The reason I suggest this minor change is that while not everyone in
ICANN is part of the US community (though ICANN itself is of course),
we are all part of the UDHR community.  I am not sure the wording I
have suggested is the best and I can live with it as written, but in
order to avoid possible contra-USian bias, I recommend it be modified
slightly.

thanks
a.