ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-b]

Re: [gnso-raa-b] Meeting Invitation / RAA Sub Team B / Monday 08 February 2010 @ 1800 UTC

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Holly Raiche <h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-raa-b] Meeting Invitation / RAA Sub Team B / Monday 08 February 2010 @ 1800 UTC
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:53:25 -0800

I think Michele calls attention to an important element of SAC 040.

SAC040 identifies many measures. Certain measures would improve overall
security for registration services and would help mitigate unauthorized
access and malicious registrations. There are also measures that one could
classify as "secondary lines of defense". These are most appropriate for
corporations, savvy small business/power users, and could perhaps be a
managed service but might challenge non-technical registrants. This second
type of measure could be part of a targeted service offering or measures you
"add to your cart".

Michele also mentions that "normal" registrants wouldn't recognise the value
in this kind of service (referring to a VSGN package). I think it's
important to realize that security measures are not just for registrants,
but parties affected when registration services are misused or compromised.
We had this discussion in the HSTLD group. The gist of the discussion is
that we can't only think about "cost", but "cost versus benefit", and not
only costs and benefits to registrars and registrants, but the broader,
affected community.