ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-b]

Re: [gnso-raa-b] Meeting Invitation / RAA Sub Team B / Monday 08 February 2010 @ 1800 UTC

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-raa-b] Meeting Invitation / RAA Sub Team B / Monday 08 February 2010 @ 1800 UTC
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 05:08:18 -0800

On 2/8/10 5:13 AM  Feb 8, 2010, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight"
<michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2010, at 03:53, Dave Piscitello wrote:
>> Michele also mentions that "normal" registrants wouldn't recognise the value
>> in this kind of service (referring to a VSGN package). I think it's
>> important to realize that security measures are not just for registrants,
>> but parties affected when registration services are misused or compromised.
>> We had this discussion in the HSTLD group. The gist of the discussion is
>> that we can't only think about "cost", but "cost versus benefit", and not
>> only costs and benefits to registrars and registrants, but the broader,
>> affected community.
>
> Dave
>
> With all due respect try explaining that to registrants

The average user doesn't appreciate antivirus measures... until his PC is
infected and he loses time, money and data. I wouldn't recommend abandoning
AV. The average small business e-merchant doesn't appreciate web site
vulnerability assessment... until his site hosts a phish page or his credit
card database is stolen. Average isn't serving the community well, and (my
opinion), the community has to take the initiative to improve average or
face the possibility of government/regulatory intervention. All that's
needed is for the pain threshold to cross a tipping point.