ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] How AT&T handles copyright abuse complaints

  • To: George Kirikos <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] How AT&T handles copyright abuse complaints
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:30:50 -0700

Indeed, and of course, they suspend not only hosting and ISP accounts without court orders, but phone numbers too - they do it at our request all the time for criminal activities like phishing, phone- based phishing and malware distribution (so that second statement must be strictly referring to trademark issues). Different reactions and policies for different levels of direct harm, immediacy of the issue, potential complicit liability from inaction, likelihood that they would get paid for services likely bought using fraudulent/stolen credentials, and potential for victims to get recompense in the end. That's not too surprising, and a model that most large providers use in one way or another - everyone has a formula, and that's appropriate in my opinion. The calculation of that formula and external forces and rules shaping it are where the fun and interesting discussions occur!

Best,

Rod

Rod Rasmussen
President and CTO