ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:16:17 +0100

In message <20090721111333.9c1b16d3983f34082b49b9baf8cec04a.870be0e1f5.wbe@xxxxxxxxx ureserver.net>, at 11:13:33 on Tue, 21 Jul 2009, James M. Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I guess I'm not clear on what is meant by "Abuse of WHOIS proxy
services."  Do you mean bad actors using fraudulent / stolen data to
open these accounts, or compromised accounts?

earlier Mike said:

#particularly when registrars are providing the service and do not #divulge underlying WHOIS info upon reasonable evidence of abuse, as #clearly required by the RAA.

Meanwhile, as someone who tries to help victims of e-crime, I find the proxy-WHOIS is very often used to obscure the fraudster's details. I'm aware that they might just be hiding false details, but shouldn't registrars be doing more checks on such things? For example, where a domain is paid for by a Credit Card, making available as default the address details used to verify that payment.
--
Roland Perry