ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:36:58 -0700

James,

Spamhaus, SURBL, Knujon, and several academic anti-spam and ant-crime researchers have tied use of proxy registrations to criminal domain usage - especially in the case of pharma and other high-volume spam. The privacy services are also victimized in these cases, as the criminals do not (conveniently) provide their real details. By using the privacy service though, they can avoid having to come up with randomized patterns for their fake whois, as their criminal registration details are hidden in with legitimate ones as far as the public can tell. This has a negative impact on those privacy registration services, as their reputation is impinged by criminal behavior, so there is a natural incentive for those types of services to do a better job screening applicants (I would point to GoDaddy as a provider that does a good job keeping such actors out in general by the way). The question is (and this is asked and speculated on widely within the security community) is whether there are some "fake", "complicit", or "clueless" privacy services out there that facilitate such activities. I'm not sure about the status of that research - I'll ping some of my friends in the anti-spam biz on that.

Rod

Rod Rasmussen
President and CTO
Internet Identity