ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:02:29 +0100

In message <20090805073132.9c1b16d3983f34082b49b9baf8cec04a.728f9eda56.wbe@xxxxxxxxx ureserver.net>, at 07:31:32 on Wed, 5 Aug 2009, James M. Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Here's an interesting report released yesterday by ICANN on the subject
of Front Running:

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-04aug09-en.htm

Which raises the question of whether or not "doing a DNS query" counts as "attempts by an Internet user to check the availability of a domain name". The assumption seems to be that the Internet user in question is correlated with someone who wishes to register a domain.

I meant to mention this on the recent call: surely an ISP who is also a registrar has an opportunity to talent-spot potential typo-squatting and brand-infringing domain names.

While it seems unlikely to me that many users speculatively try to access domain names such as cheap-brandname.com [and cheap-bnadname.com], the indication is that these are a significant issue for brandname holders.

Frustrated attempts to do this might indicate a name which has pay-per-click possibilities.
--
Roland Perry