ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] Kiting (or lack thereof)

  • To: <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] Kiting (or lack thereof)
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:28:21 -0500

Dear all:

I did another look today, and do not see any kiting examples in my registry.

I looked in the .INFO registry records for all domains that:

1. Had been registered (Created) and then deleted in Add Grace Period in the
last 60 days.  And

2. were then Created again at least once.  And

3. when re-registered, were always re-registered within an hour of deletion.

Names deleted in Add Grace Period are immediately returned to the pool of
available names.  So if someone was trying to keep a domain name "for free"
over a period of time, I reason that they would always pick the name up
again within an hour.  Otherwise the name could have been taken by anyone
else who wanted it.

Results:

*       There was one domain that was re-registered five times in a row.
(Created a grand total of six times in a row, between November 9-11.)   I
Googled and don't see any abuse reports related to this domain (spam,
malware, etc.).
*       There were two domains that were re-registered three times in a row.
I Googled and don't see any abuse reports related to these domains (spam,
malware, etc.).
*       There were six domains that were re-registered twice in a row.

During those 60 days, there were 550,000+ Creates in the registry.  So, a
TINY percentage of cases are at issue here - perhaps three domains in
550,000.

And these cases might not even be "abusive."    I think it's likely that
these involve anomalous but benign behavior.  They might be the result of
registrar-side glitches, registrant errors, credit-card processing problems,
etc.   Two of the three domains were at registrars who get their
registrations via resellers, and I have seen resellers sometimes implement
things oddly or badly.  None of the nine domains involved cross-registrar
Creates.

Please let me know if any questions.

All best,

--Greg

**********************************

Greg Aaron

Director, Key Account Management and Domain Security

Afilias

vox: +1.215.706.5700

fax: 1.215.706.5701

gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer.