ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] Some documentation on "use of stolen credentials"

  • To: Registration abuse list ICANN <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] Some documentation on "use of stolen credentials"
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:06:36 -0800

Hello team!

Sorry I didn't get this out in time for more thorough reading, but this draft
should at least help with organizing the discussion on this topic area, which
has ranged around quite a bit.

I concentrated on getting definitions in-place and exposing many of the abuses
that have been seen, as they are disparate and we've had a tendency to
concentrate on one or two aspects.  As you can see from this document, I've
identified three distinct types of "stolen credentials" plus some different
ways they are abused in the domain registration process.  The three distinct
types of credentials I have identified are "identity", "access", and
"financial".

I took the liberty of throwing in some analysis of the topics, trying to cover
several of the things that have been said the past couple weeks.  I have also
put in place-holders for some ideas that may make sense to address the
different types of stolen credentials being abused that we can flesh out better
after some more discussion.

DOC and PDF formats attached.

Best Regards,

Rod