ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "material predicate" (oops, forgot to copy the list...)

  • To: James Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Registration abuse list ICANN <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "material predicate" (oops, forgot to copy the list...)
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:31:12 -0600

i'm inclined to go with Fred on "keep it clear/simple" -- James, maybe we could
find a place in the text close by to the definition to put your qualifying
paragraph?  i agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying but i worry about
turning our definition into bafflegab.

mikey

PS -- nice timestamp on that last post James.  what were we doing at that 3am
hour??  :-)

On Jan 30, 2010, at 2:50 AM, James M. Bladel wrote:

> Fred and Team:
>
> My only concern is that this phrase could be employed to sweep up a
> number of benign services and tools simply because individuals chose to
> misuse them.
>
> For example, registrars will often suggest alternative names if a
> registrant's desired string is taken.  This algorithm isn't too
> sophisticated, it just adds a phrase like "online" or "website" to the
> end of a search string whenever the first choice is taken.  So, an
> abuser could type in "<famousbrand>.com," and the tool will suggest
> "<famousbrand-online>.com" or "<famousbrand-website>.com."  The
> suggestion itself isn't the "material predicate," as the algorithm
> simply isn't smart enough to know the difference or intent.  In fact, if
> one were to search on an ICANN or IANA Reserved String, it could
> probably generate the same results.
>
> So, if there's a way we can encompass this idea without overburdening
> the definition, that would be ideal.  Maybe just adding "act" is
> sufficient, but I'll leave that to the group.
>
> J.

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com