ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "material predicate" (oops, forgot to copy the list...)

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "material predicate" (oops, forgot to copy the list...)
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:58:12 -0600

ah bafflegab.  a word steeped in tradition.  this word was invented in the
early '50's by a fella named Milton A. Smith -- who received an award for
inventing it.  at the awards ceremony, he was asked to define it.  here's his
response;

"Multiloquence characterized by consummate interfusion of circumlocution or
periphrasis, inscrutability, and other familiar manifestations of abstruse
expatiation commonly utilized for promulgations implementing Procrustean
determinations by governmental bodies."

you can read the whole article i stole this from here --
http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-baf1.htm

mikey

On Jan 30, 2010, at 10:41 AM, James M. Bladel wrote:

> Mikey and Team:
>
> Ok, let's break with ICANN tradition and go with brevity.  ;)
>
> And although I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, this was my first
> exposure to the word "bafflegab."
>
> J.

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356