ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] For your review - Nairobi presentation

  • To: <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] For your review - Nairobi presentation
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:55:27 -0800

All,

Yes, this is mentioned in the Issues report and referenced again in our RAP
Final report (pasted below).  Forgive my inexperience here, but is it enough
that ICANN General Council be the only entity to weigh in, decide, and
subsequently influence finality about this topic?  As I mentioned in a prior
email, I think it would be important for us to take this issue to the GNSO
Council, and in my personal opinion, the ICANN board to reach final
conclusions.

Are uses of domain names subject to GNSO policy‐making? In the Issues
Report that led to the

RAPWG, ICANN’s General Counsel wrote: “Is the issue in scope of GNSO
Policy Making? Section

4.2.3 of the RAA between ICANN and accredited registrars provides for the
establishment of new

and revised consensus policies concerning the registration of domain names,
including abuse in

the registration of names, but policies involving the use of a domain name
(unrelated to its

registration) are outside the scope of policies that ICANN could enforce on
registries and/or

registrars. The use of domain names may be taken into account when
establishing or changing

registration policies. Thus, potential changes to existing contractual
provisions related to abuse

in the registration of names would be within scope of GNSO policy making.
Consideration of new

policies related to the use of a domain name unrelated to its registration
would not be within

scope.” 3,4 [Emphasis added].

I tried a quick search to find this statement on ICANN without any success.
Does ICANN staff have a link to the offical document or email where this
discussed by ICANN General Council?  Again forgive my inexperience here, but
is there other PDPs where this topic is addressed and concluded?  I see this
issue transcending several current and many future PDP WGs & AGs and I feel
it would benefit the community if somehow this is addressed properly and at
the right level.

Thank you.

Berry A. Cobb

Infinity Portals LLC