ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "Slamming" recommendations

• To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "Slamming" recommendations
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:25:54 -0400

RAP Team,

I support Mikey's edit to Recommendation #3.

On a side note, the term "slamming" is in question as it is used within the Tel-com industry (I recall Greg providing us this clarification). In a side conversation, James offered up a compelling name that I thought worth while to share with the team. How about "Alternative TLD Shakedown?" Thoughts?

Thank you.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.infinityportals.com

i think we were edging towards consensus on Recommendation 3 by backing off the reliance on ICANN staff a bit and perhaps allowing the GNSO some latitude to contract out the research to a third party. after rereading the recommendation, i also decided that we might be well advised to narrow it down so that it's just aimed at research for now (rather than research + education). i took out the 2nd to the last sentence mostly because it was a little awkward, and seemed redundant but don't feel strongly about that. so maybe a rewrite of the recommendation looks like this?

The RAPWG recommends the GNSO monitor for this abuse in the Generic space and designate a team (ICANN Staff) to conduct research to determine the nature and extent of the problem. and create education for awareness. The WG believes this issue warrants formal definition review but understands that the lack of credible data to substantiate it does not warrant a PDP at this time. However, the issue does appear to be wide spread enough and the deceptive tactics used provide an indication that harms do exist and any policy making body should understand the scope and breath prior to any further decisions. Equally important, the team responsible for the research should be tasked with creating a disseminating education and awareness of this issue.

mikey

On Apr 26, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Greg Aaron wrote:

Dear RAPWG members:

In today?s call we held a straw poll to see what members thought of the various recommendations in Barry?s doc (and then marked up by James, attached). Members expressed interest in the two below, with none interested in recommendations 2 and 4. The group will now discuss these further. Now is the opportunity to debate, and to edit the below (or to even discuss the merits of recommendations 2 and 4 if you feel it is needed). After perhaps two weeks of discussion in the calls and on-list, we will need to do a formal measurement of consensus levels.

Recommendation 1:
The RAPWG recommends nothing and remain in the status quo.
The WG feels this issue falls outside the scope of ICANN policy development and enforcement.

Recommendation 3:
The RAPWG recommends the GNSO monitor for this abuse in the Generic space and designate a team (ICANN Staff) to conduct research and create education for awareness. The WG believes this issue warrants formal definition but understands the lack of credible data to substantiate it does not warrant a PDP. However, the issue does appear to be wide spread enough and the deceptive tactics used provide an indication that harms do exist and any policy making body should understand the scope and breath prior to any further decisions. Equally important, the team responsible for the research should be tasked with creating a disseminating education and awareness of this issue.

All best,
--Greg

Greg Aaron
Director, Key Account Management and Domain Security
Afilias
vox: +1.215.706.5700
fax: 1.215.706.5701
gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

<Slamming_Recommendation_04242010 JMB Comments.docx>

- - - - - - - - -
phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com
handle  OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy