ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "Slamming" recommendations

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "Slamming" recommendations
  • From: berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:25:54 -0400

RAP Team,

I support Mikey's edit to Recommendation #3.

On a side note, the term "slamming" is in question as it is used within the Tel-com industry (I recall Greg providing us this clarification). In a side conversation, James offered up a compelling name that I thought worth while to share with the team. How about "Alternative TLD Shakedown?" Thoughts?

Thank you.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.infinityportals.com
866.921.8891

i think we were edging towards consensus on Recommendation 3 by backing off the reliance on ICANN staff a bit and perhaps allowing the GNSO some latitude to contract out the research to a third party. after rereading the recommendation, i also decided that we might be well advised to narrow it down so that it's just aimed at research for now (rather than research + education). i took out the 2nd to the last sentence mostly because it was a little awkward, and seemed redundant but don't feel strongly about that. so maybe a rewrite of the recommendation looks like this?

The RAPWG recommends the GNSO monitor for this abuse in the Generic space and designate a team (ICANN Staff) to conduct research to determine the nature and extent of the problem. and create education for awareness. The WG believes this issue warrants formal definition review but understands that the lack of credible data to substantiate it does not warrant a PDP at this time. However, the issue does appear to be wide spread enough and the deceptive tactics used provide an indication that harms do exist and any policy making body should understand the scope and breath prior to any further decisions. Equally important, the team responsible for the research should be tasked with creating a disseminating education and awareness of this issue.

mikey