ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rapimpl-dt]

RE: [gnso-rapimpl-dt] Statements of Interest for the RAP Implementation drafting team

  • To: <gnso-rapimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rapimpl-dt] Statements of Interest for the RAP Implementation drafting team
  • From: "Joi White" <jwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:47:50 -0700

Hello:

My Statement of Interest for the RAP Implementation Drafting Team appears below.

Best,
-Joi

Statement of Interest

1.    Current vocation, employer and position:
        Attorney at Carr & Ferrell LLP, Partner in the Trademark Group.

2.    Type of work performed in #1 above:
        Private law firm practice focused on counseling emerging growth to
mid-size companies and entrepreneurs on trademark clearance, registration and
disputes, including, of course, domain name issues.

3.    Identify any financial ownership or senior management/leadership interest
in registries, registrars or other firms that are interested parties in ICANN
policy or any entity with which ICANN has a transaction, contract, or other
arrangement.
        None.

4.    Identify any type of commercial or non-commercial interest in ICANN GNSO
policy development processes and outcomes. Are you representing other parties?
Describe any arrangements/agreements between you and any other group,
constituency or person(s) regarding your nomination/selection as a work team
member. Describe any tangible or intangible benefit that you receive from
participation in such processes. For example, if you are an academic or NGO and
use your position to advance your ability to participate, this should be a part
of the statement of interest, just as should employment by a contracted party,
or a business relationship with a non- contracted party who has an interest in
policy outcomes.

        As a legal representative for brand owners I have an interest in
protecting the interests of trademark owners. In my individual capacity, I am
interested in all things related to the management of domain names and the
policy surrounding it. I am a member of the Intellectual Property Constituency
(IPC), as well as the International Trademark Association (INTA), and am
currently a member of the INTA's "Internet Committee". Members of the Internet
Committee brought this group to my attention and, based on my interests and
background, supported my participation. I am looking forward to being a part
of, and contributing to, the RAP Implementation drafting team. I hope to derive
some benefit from participation in regards to my daily law practice as the
issues we will be discussing directly impact my clients' intellectual property
interests.

5.   Are you a member of a GNSO Constituency / Stakeholder Group, and if yes,
which one(s)?
        IPC.

Joi A. White       | jwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Carr & Ferrell LLP | http://www.carrferrell.com/
650-812-3461 voice | 2200 Geng Road
650-812-3444 fax   | Palo Alto, California 94303 USA