ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rapimpl-dt]

RE: [gnso-rapimpl-dt] For review - updated letter to the GNSO Council

  • To: "'Joi White'" <jwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Rosaya, Lisa W.'" <Lisa.Rosaya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rapimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rapimpl-dt] For review - updated letter to the GNSO Council
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:03:26 -0500

Dear all:

I hunted down the reference – it’s in the transcript of the October 10th
meeting, pages 3-8:

http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/transcript-rap-imp-11oct10-en.pdf

Mary’s comment appeared to be more of a resource/workload issue, which the
RAP-IMP discussed was an issue for the Council to figure out.  Then please read
the discussion on pages 3-8.

The discussion left off with an action item:

“Joi White: This is Joi. So I think - I mean the only link that I can see
between the UDRP and Whois is when you are looking at the effectiveness of the
Whois. I mean that is very dependent on - or I mean the effectiveness of the
UDRP. It's very dependent on what information you can get through the Whois
information. Does that make sense?

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's true.

Joi White: So that's the (only dependence) that I see.

Mikey O'Connor: But I think that you know - I still don't see that. I mean I
think Greg made a good parenthetical note there where if we make things
dependent on Whois, we basically stop them.

Joi White: Right.

Mikey O'Connor: Because Whois is a pretty longstanding deadlock within ICANN,
and I think if we put Whois on the critical path for any effort, it will
essentially defer the effort forever and I'm really adverse to that idea. I
think that the UDRP study crew could work around that and still get an awful
lot of work done.

Joi White: This is Joi. I think that's true. I think that it might be worth
making a note in our report or our recommendations that these two may have some
- you know just flagging that as an issue that they may have some
interdependency.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, let me just try that note.”

The term “dependency” means “being influenced or determined by or subject to
another.”  So it can be taken two different ways with different consequences.
Joi is talking about the former meaning – WHOIS accuracy is a factor or an
influence when you file a UDRP case.  In general, I think the group has used
“dependency” with the latter meaning, i.e. a prerequisite or tightly
interlinked problem that may need to be solved before or in tandem with.  I
think our discussion of October 10th was consistent  with that, and concluded
that we do not want to imply that WHOIS accuracy is determinative or a
prerequisite for examining the UDRP.

Based on the above, I suggest we remove this bit from the document:

“2) There may be a dependency with WHOIS studies.”

and replace it with:

2) WHOIS accuracy is a factor when filing some UDRP cases, but the issue of
WHOIS accuracy is not a prerequisite or barrier for examining the UDRP.”

I invite your feedback.

All best,

--Greg