ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

[gnso-res-sga] On the subject of contacts...

  • To: gnso-res-sga@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-res-sga] On the subject of contacts...
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:55:39 -0400

On the call yesterday, I proposed that our group consider its work in the context of the "administrative contact" type and the "technical contact" type and not specifically, or solely, the newly proposed "operational point of contact" type.

From my standpoint, it is unclear whether or not this new contact type would be a necessary part of implementing the overall OPOC proposal or not, and if not, then we would need to consider our work in the context of the older contact types.

A concern was raised that this may not be in scope for this sub-group. We should seek clarity on this point. Clearly this consideration is not out of scope for the overall working group, but it may not be consistent with the assignment that we have received from the parent group.

As I mentioned on the call, my goal is to seek a comfortable blend between the historical constructs that we have all come to rely on and those more progressive privacy features of the overall OPOC proposal. I have not retracted my support for the OPOC proposal. I am simply saying that I am no longer convinced that implementing a new contact type that replaces the old ones is a constructive focal point for our discussion.

Again, I would like to reiterate my request that we consider the work of this subgroup in the context of the traditional data types and request our chair to seek clarification on the issue of scope.

Many thanks,

Ross Rader
Tucows Inc.