ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

Re: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)

  • To: "Steve DelBianco" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-res-sga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 15:06:30 -0400

To the two Steves:

>>> "Steve DelBianco" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/8/2007 11:06 AM >>>
>The OPoC should be a legal agent of the registrant, and must
acknowledge in
>advance that they could be liable for registrant's illegal activities

This is a non-starter. As they say in NJ, forgetaboutit. Steve M. knows
this perfectly well, having beein through this on earlier Whois task
forces.

It is a non-starter politically (it will never even remotely approach a
majority of the stakeholder groups, and it won't fly legally and
economically. This kind of legal liability doesn't even apply to the
current administrative and technical contacts.

I seriously doubt, Steve B., whether your alleged small business
constituents want to increase their internet costs by an order of
magnitude of 10-100 by pursuing such policies. Maybe you should check
with them.

We will save a lot of time if we think of proposals that might actually
achieve agreement. We're way beyond the stage at which constituents can
expect to get anywhere by putting forward narrowly conceived wish lists.