ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

[gnso-restruc-dt] Issue on council voting on bylaws.

  • To: gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-restruc-dt] Issue on council voting on bylaws.
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 12:57:58 -0400

Hi,

One f the issue that came up today in the council meeting the degree to which we needed full consensus on the issues or could use the current council super majority voting procedures to pass a by-laws issue that one of more of the future SGs might not be comfortable.

Philip brought up the issue and I invite him to explain his position because I am sure he can do it so much more elegantly then I can. What I understood is that it might not be appropriate for this council using its weighted voting procedure to decide on by-law a future council needs to live with.

As part of that conversation, I responded with several points:

- We do need to have by-laws under which that council can sit and act before it can sit and act. - Council as currently constituted needs to vote on those recommendations in order to send them to the Board, so that they can then gather community opinion and then decide. - If this council recommends anything that that new council doesn't approve of, they will be able to change the bylaws. - On any item of which we do achieve full consensus, a note should be attached to the recommendation clearly explaining the differences and detailing the opposition.

Another point I would like to add that I do not think I brought up during the meeting:

- Any issue where we cannot reach consensus may be able to be dealt with as a transitional item to be reconsidered when the new council is seated or at some suitable interval afterwards.

a.

Note: the optimism with which I believe we will have something that is mostly consensus that we will be able to vote on and achieve consensus.