ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

Re: [gnso-rn-wg] second try IANA and ICANN-related names

  • To: Reserved Names Working Group ICANN <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rn-wg] second try IANA and ICANN-related names
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:50:45 -0500

Hi,

The question I have related to IANA reserved names is what the reaction would be to the ISOC BOT, IAB or IESG asking that another name be added to the reserved list. For example, if they were to ask IANA to add IASA, or IAD to the reserved list (surprised they haven't yet), would IANA accept such a request and what would the process be?

To go further if an IETF WG were to get an RFC approved that contained a set of new suggested reserved names, how would this be handled. Or, if the IESG were to request that the names such as IETF- Routing (or IETF-xxx where xxx = any wg name or area name), would that be accepted automatically and by virtue of IANAs acceptance be granted addition to the official reserved names list?

Perhaps my question is whether we are talking about grandfathering in the current IANA list, or whether we are treating the IANA list as included by reference with additions up to IANA?

thanks.
a.