ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Follow-Up to Today's Call

  • To: <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Follow-Up to Today's Call
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:47:28 -0500

Mike,

While you and I both agree on the importance of protecting consumers
against fraud, there is the issue of "scalability." In the WIPO II
report it states that there are "limits of what can be achieved through
the consultation processes, such as WIPO Internet Domain Name Processes
or any similar ICANN processes."  As the former chair of ICANN's Working
Group B on protecting famous trademarks I can tell you that there this
is still a lack of uniform international law to address this situation.

When faced with a lack of uniform international law, ICANN should tread
very careful as the WIPO II report also states "[i]t is submitted that
any protection offered in the gTLDs to country names (as well as any
other place names), as such, would amount to the creation of new law, as
least from the international intellectual property perspective. A
recommendation to adopt such measures consequently would be a departure
from one of the fundamental principles underlying the Report of the
first WIPO Process, namely, the avoidance of the creation of new
intellectual property rights or the enhanced protection of rights in
cyberspace compared to the protection that exists in the real world."

The reason I challenged the basis of ICANN's reservation of this small
subset of names is exactly because of the slippery slope which you
appear to be advocating.

Notwithstanding this different perspective, I hope that it will advance
a constructive discussion within the group.

Chuck, with regard to your suggestion I see no down side to asking ICANN
for a statement of their position on the reservation of these names.

Best regards,

Michael