ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Comments on ICANN/IANA Reserved Names Reports

  • To: "'Timothy Denton'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Reserved Names Working Group ICANN'" <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Comments on ICANN/IANA Reserved Names Reports
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:20:03 -0500

Tim,

Where does ICANN derive its authority to enter into the contracts
through which it will collect approximately 40 million dollars this
year?

Is it because the good people like me and you send in voluntary
contributions to the California non-profit corporation known as ICANN
that keeps things running? Or is it because ICANN has a legal right to
impose fees upon registration authorities based upon the authority
granted to it by a set of agreements that it has entered into with the
USG.

Clearly you and others are free to gather by the Root Server camp fire
and sign Kumbaya and blindly trust ICANN's position to "just trust us"
we are the technical coordinators of the Internet and we know what is
best. When I was on the ICANN Board I often use to repeat the following
Chinese saying, "True gold does not fear the refiner's fire." In this
instance I submit that the original basis upon which ICANN reserved
these names would not holdup under either a technical or legal fire.
Therefore, I stand by my original statement that we as a group should
not affirmatively vote in favor of a continued reservation of these
names.

Notwithstanding my objections, in the interest of consensus development,
I will try to offer alternate language for this straw poll which perhaps
finds a mutual suitable solution to our potential stalemate.

As a long time friend and colleague I appreciate the constructive
exchange, it brings back many fond memories from our days in the
registrar constituency :-)

Best regards,

Michael