ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

Re: [gnso-rn-wg] Tagged Names Report for Review & Approval in 5 March Meeting

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rn-wg] Tagged Names Report for Review & Approval in 5 March Meeting
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:27:24 -0800

Chuck,

I know I joined the WG later, and trying to get caught up with all the
reports and the "Tagged name' was one that was NOT the easiest to grasp.
Additionally, I decided to start from your report to "questions for the IDN
Experts" last week, with one that you had marked as "no questions"; one
being the same report.
**
*C. Tagged Domain Names.*
**All labels with hyphens in the *third and fourth* character positions (e.g.,
"bq--1k2n4h4b" or "xn--ndk061n").  ·        No questions

In any case, I am not at all an IDN expert, but after much interpretations,
translation/transliteration of this report;), I think we have a bit of a
'big miss' on the IDN side of the Tagged Names report.  I am not to say, as
usual that the document is very ASCII centric, but it is to be expected in
the 'ICANN" world which might be a good idea to reserve "ICANN' IDN version
with is labeling, so that the non-ascii world could state their opinion
(that was the humor).

But on the serious side, these are my comments:

I agree that CC-- reservation should apply to all levels.

However, IDNs in Unicode are going to be deployed at TLD level and other
levels subsequent to the TLD. Such registrations at the registry levels are
represented in ASCII using an ASCII Compatible Encoding, that maps the IDN
label into ASCII prefixed by xn-- (or any future
changes of two alternative characters followed by two hyphens, as has
happened in the past, e.g. bq--). All registrations should
be in the IDN label, and that the ACE label should be internal to the
operations of the registration. *One should not be offering to
register xn--.... as a label or any ACE label since it is an internal
encoding, so as to prevent confusion and other malfeasance (phishing)*.
Moreover, any IDNs that look like xn--... (or CC--.... for future changes)
should not be allowed. This is because during the roll-out of the IDN
deployments, xn-- may appear in Internet software applications which are not
ACE/IDN-aware, and do not load the appropriate IDN label when it encounters
xn-- prefix and by default, ends up displaying the xn-- ACE label.

Non-Internet Software applications may not necessarily be IDN-aware when
users are attempting to convey addresses in IDN, and
instead of displaying http://IDN.IDN.IDN <http://idn.idn.idn/> (URLs) or
UUUU@xxxxxxx (email address) in the language it is supposed to represent,
ends up
writing http://xn--ASCII.xn--ASCII.xn--ASCII or UUUU@xxxxxxxxxxxx--ASCII
Therefore, the modalities of you want to re-phrase the above could be left
for the group to figue out,
ie. " All labels with hyphens in the *third and fourth* character positions
(e.g., "bq--1k2n4h4b" or "xn--ndk061n" )
to add perhaps a statement "only when "--" is preceded by xn and bq anywhere
in the character ...."

kind regards,
Sophia