ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] ICANN and IANA reserved names version 12

  • To: "'Gomes, Chuck'" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] ICANN and IANA reserved names version 12
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:53:23 -0500

Will digest this.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Gomes, Chuck
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 5:05 PM
To: tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx; gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: glen@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks Tim.  Here are some suggestions for the recommendations section.

The recommendations we are making will be for new gTLDs, not
specifically for existing ones like .pro and .name, so you shouldn't
mention those two gTLDs in your recommendations for the 3rd level.  You
should use general language that basically says something like this: "as
applicable for gTLDs that register names at the 3rd level".

Regarding recommendations for more work, you should add some guidelines
in that regard below the table.  Also, I wouldn't use the "as above" for
that column.  Ideas for guidelines: consulting with the IDN WG in the
case of IDNs; consulting with experts regarding http, https and html;
further consideration of concerns raised by Mike Palage and Mike
Rodenbaugh.  Regarding the latter, where in your report did you discuss
this.  It seems to me that there should be a brief reference to this
concern in the recommendations section in the context of possible
additional work by the GNSO.  Also, in the case of 'example', it would
be helpful to discuss what you think needs to be done with regard to
additional work in that regard (e.g., further consultation with the IDN
WG? Or with IDN experts?)

Finally, in the IDN Implications section of Section 4, I think it would
be helpful to add a footnote that gives the link to the MPC and/or the
transcript for the meeting in which we had the consultation.

Chuck Gomes