ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] note on technical evidence

  • To: GNSO RN WG <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] note on technical evidence
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:26:28 -0500

Hi,

In several of the categories there was a pending requirement for technical evidence of the protocols capabilities. I wanted to say a few words about my definitions for technical evidence of a protocol's capabilties.

In my experience, there is often a lot of disagreement between technical experts. One of the reasons I value the IETF processes is that they try to move beyond those disagreements and beyond argument from authority by using extensive open discussion followed by decisions based on rough consensus and running code. Often, when an analysis is required, these are done by the IAB and designated experts and then vetted in the technical community by open review before they become RFCs.

In asking for technical support on various questions of protocol capability, I suggest that we ask the IETF, through its liaison or directly, for the necessary analyses on issues like the safety of single LDH character TLDS. Once these recommendations have been through the process and become RFCs we will have the basis for designating a decision as 'technical reasons'. Short of this, I think we remain in the area of speculation and argument from authority.

Of course to do this we will have to propose specific questions that need to be answered.

BTW, I do not mean to argue that all technical issues can be resolved in this way, obviously some, like those being subjected to experimentation by the President's committee need a different process. I am recommending that this procedure applies to issues of protocol capability - in those case we need to approach the body who controls the protocol and ask them to answer the questions subject to their own processes. In the case of DNS that organization is the IETF and I believe that the official response to a technical question is an RFC.

One note on this, it is not certain that the IETF process can respond in the 6-9 month time frame that Mike has proposed.

thanks
a.