ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

Re: [gnso-rn-wg] note on technical evidence

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rn-wg] note on technical evidence
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:22:58 -0500

Hi,

Well, it certainly is worth finding out whether the questions are already answered, and we should be able to do that ourselves by checking the RFCs for actual evidence. But we need to be careful that we don't accept blanket cautionary statements from the past that had little or no technical investigation as the final answer. In some cases, I believe that these questions, for example the question of whether single letter or digit TLD's would cause technical problems to the DNS need to be explored further. And as I think about it, it may come down to needing a similar sort of experimental test as is currently being done for IDNs to actually know one way or another.

The real point I am trying to make is that we should not rely on proof by authority or speculation but should make sure that we have actual technical evidence. And I was trying to explore what it was we mean when we say that we need technical evaluation; i.e what counts as a legitimate and useful result?

As for the amount of time this should take, while developing a new protocol may take 1-2 years or more to develop and even longer to deploy, asking for a technical analysis of an issue should not take nearly that long.

a.