ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: Report detail: DISPUTES AND OBJECTIONS

  • To: "Gomes,Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: Report detail: DISPUTES AND OBJECTIONS
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:17:49 -0700

Agreed. I was just trying to find examples. So replace it with .africa or .lac,
it's the principle I was after.<BR><BR>Tim <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid">-------- Original Message --------<BR>
Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: &nbsp;Report detail:
&nbsp;DISPUTES<BR>AND OBJECTIONS<BR>From: "Gomes, Chuck"
&lt;cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Mon, March 12, 2007 9:37 am<BR>To: "Tim
Ruiz" &lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;, "Liz
Williams"<BR>&lt;liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: "GNSO RN WG"
&lt;gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>
I don't think a proposed gTLD like .euro would need to be included
in<BR>
the controversial name category because I think it would come under
the<BR>
"confusingly similar" condition for which the Dec05 PDP has proposed
a<BR>procedure that is still under development.<BR><BR>Chuck Gomes<BR><BR>
"This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity
to<BR>which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,<BR>
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
Any<BR>
unauthorized use, distribution, or disclosure is strictly prohibited.
If<BR>you have received this message in error, please notify
sender<BR>immediately and destroy/delete the original transmission."
<BR><BR><BR>&gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; From: Tim Ruiz
[mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx] <BR>&gt; Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 9:14 AM<BR>&gt;
To: Liz Williams<BR>&gt; Cc: GNSO RN WG; Gomes, Chuck<BR>
&gt; Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: Report detail:
<BR>&gt; DISPUTES AND OBJECTIONS<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Liz,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I think
that's fair. In fact, in our rewrite of the <BR>
&gt; recommendation for the controversial names report we did
<BR>
&gt; include a couple of thoughts along those lines. Avri will be
<BR>&gt; posting the revised report later this morning.<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; My personal thoughts are that objections/disputes should be
<BR>
&gt; formal and come only through an ICANN Advisory Committee or
<BR>&gt; SO during the public comment period. Three examples:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
1. The Staff and/or Board sees that 22% of the public <BR>
&gt; comments pertain to objections based on issue X. If issue X
<BR>
&gt; is technical in nature the Staff or Board might refer that
<BR>
&gt; issue to the SSAC for advice. If they advise that further
<BR>&gt; research should be done, the applied for TLD becomes <BR>
&gt; Controversial. If issue X is public policy related (offensive
<BR>
&gt; to a particular culture, etc.) the Board or Staff could refer
<BR>&gt; it to the GAC.<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; 2. The label .laputa is applied for (the Castle in the Sky in
<BR>
&gt; Gulliver's Travels, but also an obscenity in Spanish). If the
<BR>
&gt; localities offended by it can convince the GAC to formally
<BR>&gt; object, it becomes Controversial.<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; 3. The label .euro is applied for. European ccTLD operators
<BR>&gt; may convince the ccNSO to object. European business <BR>&gt;
contituents may convince the GNSO to object.<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; Objections based on the legal prior rights of others may be
<BR>
&gt; handled differently and the PRO WG may have advice on that.
<BR>
&gt; And there may be local and international laws that pertain to
<BR>&gt; some labels applied for and the applicants within <BR>&gt;
jurisdiction should certainly be subject to those.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
Tim <BR>&gt; &nbsp;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &nbsp;-------- Original Message
--------<BR>
&gt; Subject: Re: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: &nbsp;Report detail:
&nbsp;<BR>&gt; DISPUTES AND OBJECTIONS<BR>&gt; From: Liz Williams
&lt;liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>&gt; Date: Mon, March 12, 2007 7:42
am<BR>&gt; To: "Gomes, Chuck" &lt;cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>&gt; Cc: "Tim
Ruiz" &lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;, "GNSO RN WG"
&lt;gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Chuck and Tim<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; Could I draw the group's attention to the point that Tim
<BR>
&gt; raises about disputes or objections to strings? &nbsp;As Tim
<BR>
&gt; points out, the new TLDs committee is working on string
<BR>&gt; criteria and has touched briefly on the nature of objection.<BR>&gt;
<BR>
&gt; It would be very useful for the RN group to have a further
<BR>
&gt; crack at sharing thoughts to the Committee through their
<BR>
&gt; report. &nbsp;The findings here are very important from an
<BR>
&gt; implementation perspective. &nbsp;For example, what weight would a
<BR>&gt; staff or independent evaluator place &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; upon objections raised by one person or organisation or government?
&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; How do we manage the (almost inevitable) inbox loading of
<BR>
&gt; board members on a particular string? &nbsp;How do we categorise
<BR>
&gt; and contain legitimate objection to enable an applicant to
<BR>&gt; respond in a timely way?<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; I know your group is not being asked to make recommendations
<BR>
&gt; on the implementation process &nbsp;but some rationale thoughts on
<BR>
&gt; the practical impact of reserved names and limitations to
<BR>&gt; string criteria would be useful.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Liz<BR>&gt;
.....................................................<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Liz
Williams<BR>&gt; Senior Policy Counselor<BR>&gt; ICANN - Brussels<BR>&gt; +32 2
234 7874 tel<BR>&gt; +32 2 234 7848 fax<BR>&gt; +32 497 07 4243 mob<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; On 11 Mar 2007, at 14:25, Gomes, Chuck
wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; Thanks Tim for the helpful thoughts. I still have one
<BR>&gt; question for the <BR>
&gt; &gt; topic of controversial names that has been briefly discussed
during <BR>
&gt; &gt; the RN-WG work and has also been discussed in the Dec05
PDP:<BR>
&gt; &gt; how do we avoid a situation where it is too easy for any
<BR>&gt; individual or <BR>
&gt; &gt; organization (including governments) to dispute a name and
thereby <BR>
&gt; &gt; cause significantly delays for proposed gTLDs. &nbsp;That just
<BR>&gt; seems like <BR>
&gt; &gt; to likely a possibility to me. &nbsp;It might make sense to
<BR>&gt; recommend that <BR>&gt; &gt; any follow-on work focus on that
issue.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Chuck Gomes<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; "This message is intended for the use of the individual or
<BR>&gt; entity to <BR>
&gt; &gt; which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
<BR>&gt; privileged, <BR>
&gt; &gt; confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
Any <BR>
&gt; &gt; unauthorized use, distribution, or disclosure is strictly
<BR>&gt; prohibited. <BR>
&gt; &gt; If you have received this message in error, please notify
sender <BR>&gt; &gt; immediately and destroy/delete the original
transmission."<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; From: Tim Ruiz
[mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx]<BR>&gt; &gt; Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:12
AM<BR>&gt; &gt; To: Gomes, Chuck<BR>&gt; &gt; Cc: Liz Williams; GNSO RN
WG<BR>&gt; &gt; Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: Report
detail<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Regarding Controversial Names:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; I don't see any point in this WG consulting further with the
GAC. &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; As far as recommending that the PDPDec05 committee do it,
<BR>&gt; it doesn't <BR>&gt; &gt; matter to me one way or the other.<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; The bottom line is that there will be two categories of
<BR>&gt; critiria that <BR>
&gt; &gt; new gTLD applicants will be evaluated on - objective criteria
and <BR>
&gt; &gt; subjective criteria. The latter is unfortunate but
unavoidable.<BR>
&gt; &gt; In the context of this WG's terms of work, Controversial
<BR>&gt; Names is the <BR>
&gt; &gt; reserved category that falls mostly into the subjective
category.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; This sub-group has been working with this definition of
<BR>&gt; Controversial <BR>
&gt; &gt; Names - 1) Qualifies as a TLD under the then prevailing String
<BR>
&gt; &gt; Criteria; 2) Does not fall under any other Reserved Name
<BR>&gt; category; and <BR>
&gt; &gt; 3) Is disputed or objected to for reasons other than that it
falls <BR>
&gt; &gt; under any other Reserved Name category. And I suppose we
should add <BR>
&gt; &gt; that it is not being disputed because it infringes on the
<BR>&gt; prior rights <BR>
&gt; &gt; of others since that issue is being addressed separately by
the PRO <BR>&gt; &gt; WG.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; What I think the three of us are trying to recommend is that
when a <BR>
&gt; &gt; string applied for becomes Controversial under the above
<BR>&gt; definition, <BR>
&gt; &gt; that there be a process for evaluating the dispute or
<BR>&gt; objection. What <BR>
&gt; &gt; I don't think this sub-group or the WG in general should
<BR>&gt; get into is <BR>
&gt; &gt; exactly what the process should be. So perhaps we leave it at
<BR>
&gt; &gt; recommending further work, and recommending a few high-level
<BR>&gt; &gt; principles that should apply to the resultant process.<BR>
&gt; &gt; The PDPDec05 committee can take it from there. If they pursue
the <BR>
&gt; &gt; recommendation they very well may decide that further
consultation <BR>
&gt; &gt; with the GAC or ccNSO is necessary, or include it in the
<BR>&gt; terms of work <BR>&gt; &gt; of WG (or extend this one) to deal with
it.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Tim Ruiz<BR>&gt; &gt; Vice
President<BR>&gt; &gt; Corp. Development &amp; Policy<BR>&gt; &gt; The Go Daddy
Group, Inc.<BR>&gt; &gt; tim@xxxxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; This email message and any attachments hereto is intended
<BR>&gt; for use only <BR>
&gt; &gt; by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally
privileged <BR>
&gt; &gt; and/or confidential information. If you have received this
email in <BR>
&gt; &gt; error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently
<BR>&gt; delete the <BR>&gt; &gt; original and any copy of this message and its
attachments.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; --------
Original Message --------<BR>
&gt; &gt; Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: &nbsp;Report
detail<BR>&gt; &gt; From: "Gomes, Chuck" &lt;cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>&gt;
&gt; Date: Fri, March 09, 2007 7:03 pm<BR>
&gt; &gt; To: "Liz Williams" &lt;liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx&gt;, "GNSO RN
WG"<BR>&gt; &gt; &lt;gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;
Liz,<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; My general belief is that it would be better to wait until the
<BR>
&gt; &gt; recommendations are final before spending too much time
analyzing <BR>
&gt; &gt; them. &nbsp;At the same time, I did provide some comments
below.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Chuck Gomes<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; From: owner-gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-rn-
<BR>&gt; wg@xxxxxxxxx] <BR>&gt; &gt; On Behalf Of Liz Williams<BR>&gt; &gt;
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 6:22 AM<BR>&gt; &gt; To: GNSO RN WG<BR>&gt; &gt;
Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-WG Questions: Report detail<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;
Colleagues<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; I have read through all the reports that have been submitted
so far<BR>
&gt; &gt; -- thank you to all the hardworking volunteers for the
<BR>&gt; work. &nbsp;This is <BR>
&gt; &gt; a long email -- individual readers may wish to just jump
<BR>&gt; directly to <BR>
&gt; &gt; the report that involves them. &nbsp;However, I would
appreciate the <BR>&gt; &gt; thoughts of the group on how to move things
forward<BR>
&gt; &gt; -- I apologise in advance if I've posed self-evident
<BR>&gt; questions but I <BR>
&gt; &gt; would prefer to confirm with the working group rather than
make <BR>&gt; &gt; incorrect assumptions.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; I talked to Chuck yesterday and formed some thoughts which
need <BR>
&gt; &gt; further examination. &nbsp;These questions are in no
particular <BR>&gt; order -- I <BR>
&gt; &gt; have just gone through each report as it's filed in my
folder.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Report regarding single and dual character
domains<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Section 1a. &nbsp;p3 on "expert consultation is desired re
IDNs and re <BR>
&gt; &gt; symbols due to stability and security concerns at both top
<BR>&gt; and second <BR>
&gt; &gt; level". &nbsp;Is it the group's intention to proceed with
seeking this <BR>
&gt; &gt; external advice? &nbsp;If so, when and from whom does the
Group <BR>&gt; expect the <BR>
&gt; &gt; responses. &nbsp;Is this a question that you will immediately
<BR>&gt; give to the <BR>&gt; &gt; IDN WG?<BR>
&gt; &gt; [Gomes, Chuck] Except for any advice we receive in the next
day or <BR>
&gt; &gt; two, we are out of time for consulting with experts. &nbsp;It
is <BR>&gt; possible <BR>
&gt; &gt; that final recommendations will include suggestions for
additional <BR>&gt; &gt; consultation with experts; is that happens, that
<BR>&gt; consultation could be <BR>
&gt; &gt; done by the RN-WG if its work is extended by the Council 30
<BR>&gt; days or if <BR>
&gt; &gt; the Council so decides it could be done by some other
<BR>&gt; group. &nbsp;I am not <BR>
&gt; &gt; sure that the IDN WG is the right body to consider security
and <BR>
&gt; &gt; stability concerns but they certainly could be consulted if
<BR>&gt; they are <BR>&gt; &gt; still in operation.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Recommendation 1 Section 1d. p4. "We recommend that this [the
new <BR>
&gt; &gt; registry services funnel] release mechanism be permitted as
<BR>&gt; to one and <BR>
&gt; &gt; two letter and or number ASCII names..." &nbsp;Just confirming
that the <BR>
&gt; &gt; group is referring to an allocation method for existing
registries.<BR>&gt; &gt; [Gomes, Chuck] Yes.<BR>
&gt; &gt; How does the group propose to resolve contention between
applicants <BR>&gt; &gt; for one and two letter/number names?<BR>
&gt; &gt; [Gomes, Chuck] Contention would be resolved via the process to
be &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; developed in response to the Dec05 PDP work. &nbsp;
&nbsp;Through the &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; existing UDRP process or through another process consistent
<BR>&gt; with the <BR>
&gt; &gt; new TLDs process for resolving contention?[Gomes, Chuck]
&nbsp;Ditto.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; A note that this proposal has a direct bearing on existing
registry <BR>
&gt; &gt; contracts and that further detailed discussion may be
<BR>&gt; necessary with <BR>
&gt; &gt; all the members of the Registry Constituency [I didn't see
this <BR>
&gt; &gt; potential work item in the list of further things to do]
[Gomes, <BR>
&gt; &gt; Chuck] &nbsp;What direct bearing does what proposal have on
existing <BR>&gt; &gt; registry contracts?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Recommendation 2 Section 1d. p4 &nbsp;"We recommend that
single <BR>&gt; letter or <BR>
&gt; &gt; number TLDs be allowed in future rounds, via the process to
<BR>&gt; be agreed <BR>
&gt; &gt; via PDP05". &nbsp;Just confirming the group's recommendation
<BR>&gt; means that the <BR>
&gt; &gt; treatment of applications for single letter and single number
TLD <BR>
&gt; &gt; strings will be treated in exactly the same way as any
<BR>&gt; other new TLD <BR>
&gt; &gt; application AND that any "string contention and allocation
methods" <BR>&gt; &gt; would be the same.<BR>
&gt; &gt; [Gomes, Chuck] As I think Avri commented earlier today, I
<BR>&gt; do not think <BR>
&gt; &gt; that is the direction suggested; as I recall from our meeting
on <BR>
&gt; &gt; Thursday, the thinking was that a special allocation method
<BR>&gt; should be <BR>
&gt; &gt; considered for these types of names in addition to the
allocation <BR>&gt; &gt; methods included in the Dec05 PDP work.<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Report regarding tagged names<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; No
comment with regard to recommendation BUT the <BR>&gt; recommendation needs <BR>
&gt; &gt; to come in a form for the new TLDs report that spells out
<BR>&gt; each of the <BR>&gt; &gt; recommendations in clear language (using,
where<BR>&gt; &gt; appropriate should, must, may] for each of the
recommendations. &nbsp; <BR>
&gt; &gt; Please ensure that the text is as you wish to have it
<BR>&gt; because it can <BR>
&gt; &gt; then be included in the new TLDs report section that
<BR>&gt; relates to IDNs <BR>&gt; &gt; and the technical conditions associated
with IDNs.<BR>&gt; &gt; [Gomes, Chuck] I will update the report.<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Report regarding geographic and geopolitical terms<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; There seems to be no recommendation that could be included
<BR>&gt; in the new <BR>
&gt; &gt; TLDs report. &nbsp;However, it is clear that further
discussion is <BR>
&gt; &gt; necessary with GAC members and others. &nbsp;The group should
specify in <BR>
&gt; &gt; what form it would like to receive advice from the GAC,
recognising <BR>
&gt; &gt; the different work styles and timeframes between the GNSO
<BR>&gt; and the GAC. &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; It is likely that this topic will come up for discussion in
<BR>&gt; the joint <BR>&gt; &gt; GNSO GAC Lisbon session.<BR>
&gt; &gt; [Gomes, Chuck] I assume that any guidance given to the GAC or
<BR>
&gt; &gt; consulation with the GAC will be separate from our report
<BR>&gt; or will be <BR>&gt; &gt; handled by the Council.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Report regarding other names reserved at the second
level<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Section 3. &nbsp;Straw recommendation to the entire
WG<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; This recommendation relates to existing registries rather than
new <BR>
&gt; &gt; TLDs? &nbsp;Does it pre-suppose that registries would work
together on <BR>
&gt; &gt; releasing pairs of names -- is any further work required from
the <BR>
&gt; &gt; Registry Constituency? &nbsp;With respect to new TLDs, can a
version of <BR>&gt; &gt; this recommendation be included in the new TLDs
report?<BR>
&gt; &gt; [Gomes, Chuck] Not really but the wording probably needs to be
<BR>
&gt; &gt; improved. I talked about this issue last week with the
subgroup.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Registry Specific Names: &nbsp;Is the group suggesting that
existing <BR>
&gt; &gt; registries should be subject to "defensive registrations"
<BR>&gt; and have to <BR>
&gt; &gt; go through a UDRP to have a name returned if it were
registered by <BR>
&gt; &gt; someone else? [Gomes, Chuck] &nbsp;I don't think it is
<BR>&gt; suggesting one way <BR>
&gt; &gt; or other. The suggestion is that the requirement is synced
with <BR>&gt; &gt; whatever is done at the second level. &nbsp;This
recommendation needs <BR>
&gt; &gt; further discussion within the PRO group and within the RyC
<BR>
&gt; &gt; constituency. &nbsp;I will send it to Kristina Rosette for
<BR>&gt; inclusion in the <BR>&gt; &gt; next PRO meeting.[Gomes, Chuck]
&nbsp;Maybe?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Other Names Reserved at the Second Level: &nbsp;The proposed
<BR>&gt; recommendation <BR>
&gt; &gt; has a direct bearing on several elements of the new TLDs
<BR>&gt; process. &nbsp;1) <BR>
&gt; &gt; on selection criteria which depend on a "sponsored" model.
&nbsp;<BR>&gt; There is <BR>
&gt; &gt; no specificity in the existing new TLDs draft recommendations
that <BR>
&gt; &gt; pre-supposes that a sponsored model would continue in
<BR>&gt; future rounds. &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Is the group recommending that it should? &nbsp;[Gomes, Chuck]
&nbsp;<BR>&gt; No. But it <BR>&gt; &gt; is possible that proposals for<BR>
&gt; &gt; new gTLDs &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; could include a sponsored
approach. &nbsp;2) on &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; allocation methods and resolving contention between competing
<BR>
&gt; &gt; applicants for a "sponsored" community which requires
objective<BR>
&gt; &gt; criteria to resolve contention between applicants [Gomes,
Chuck] &nbsp; <BR>&gt; &gt; As noted above, that will be solved by Dec05 PDP
<BR>&gt; procedures; I don't <BR>
&gt; &gt; see that as a RN-WG task. &nbsp;and 3) on the base contract
and <BR>&gt; contractual <BR>
&gt; &gt; conditions [Gomes, Chuck] &nbsp;Again, I don't think
contractual <BR>&gt; conditions <BR>
&gt; &gt; is in our SoW although our recommendations could be included
in <BR>
&gt; &gt; contracts. &nbsp;. &nbsp;The point of the base contract is to
provide <BR>&gt; a smooth <BR>
&gt; &gt; process for having a new registry operator get under way.
&nbsp;The <BR>
&gt; &gt; proposed recommendation leaves open a process of contract
<BR>&gt; negotiations <BR>&gt; &gt; which may be lengthy and which would be<BR>
&gt; &gt; subject to public comment periods. &nbsp; [Gomes, Chuck] I
would assume &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; that some of our recommendations will become part of the base
<BR>&gt; &gt; contract.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; From Tamara's comments, this is clearly what the group
<BR>&gt; intends but it <BR>
&gt; &gt; does have a bearing not only on the new TLDs report but also
the <BR>
&gt; &gt; implementation plan and application process. [Gomes, Chuck]
<BR>&gt; &nbsp;Not sure <BR>
&gt; &gt; what comments from Tamara you are referring to. &nbsp;I don't
think the <BR>
&gt; &gt; final report will have any individual comments except in
<BR>&gt; the case of <BR>&gt; &gt; minority reports.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;
Report on ICANN &amp; IANA Names<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Is this recommendation in a state that could be put into
<BR>&gt; the new TLDs <BR>
&gt; &gt; report? &nbsp;[Gomes, Chuck] No. &nbsp;If so, it helps with
setting up the <BR>
&gt; &gt; formalised section on Reserved Names and also passes through
to the <BR>
&gt; &gt; implementation plan on "instructions to applicants" about
<BR>&gt; what names <BR>&gt; &gt; to NOT apply for in their
applications.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Report on nic, www and whois for
registry operations<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; See section above.[Gomes, Chuck]
&nbsp;No.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Report on Controversial Names<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Recommendation 3.1 &amp; 3.2: &nbsp;My sense is that these
<BR>&gt; recommendations need <BR>
&gt; &gt; further discussion. [Gomes, Chuck] There will be further
<BR>&gt; discussion. &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; The creation of reserved lists of controversial names excites
the <BR>
&gt; &gt; interests of many parties and we need further discussion on
three <BR>
&gt; &gt; elements -- any final policy recommendation, discussion of
<BR>&gt; this with <BR>
&gt; &gt; GAC members in the context of their final public policy
<BR>&gt; principles and <BR>
&gt; &gt; in the context of the implementation plan.[Gomes, Chuck]
&nbsp;<BR>&gt; Won't that <BR>&gt; &gt; be interesting. &nbsp;:)<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Could the group please suggest HOW they would like this
<BR>&gt; further work <BR>
&gt; &gt; done -- some suggestions include discussion with the GAC
members at <BR>
&gt; &gt; the GNSO GAC meeting in Lisbon and with ccTLD operators as
<BR>&gt; part of the <BR>
&gt; &gt; ccNSO discussions. &nbsp;On the latter, the ccNSO has a very
full agenda <BR>
&gt; &gt; for Lisbon but I do think some email correspondence could
<BR>&gt; be sent to <BR>
&gt; &gt; the ccNSO chair.[Gomes, Chuck] &nbsp;I will let the subgroup
<BR>&gt; consider this.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Report on reservation of
third level names.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; No comments on recommendation but is it ready to be inserted
into a <BR>
&gt; &gt; report to the Committee? [Gomes, Chuck] &nbsp;Not quite.
&nbsp;We are waiting <BR>
&gt; &gt; for some rewording as suggested on Thursday and then
email<BR>
&gt; &gt; distribution of the revised wording for final approval. &nbsp;
<BR>&gt; Has there &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; been [Gomes, Chuck] &nbsp;s ufficient discussion to warrant
that <BR>&gt; inclusion <BR>&gt; &gt; -- it has a direct bearing on elements of
a base<BR>
&gt; &gt; contract. [Gomes, Chuck] &nbsp; We will see. &nbsp;Keep in
mind, not <BR>&gt; only for &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; this one but all the others, none of our recommendations
<BR>&gt; will be ready <BR>
&gt; &gt; for inclusion in the &nbsp;base contract until they are
blessed by the <BR>&gt; &gt; Council.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Apologies for long email -- of course questions and comments
always <BR>&gt; &gt; welcome.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Liz<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;
Liz Williams<BR>&gt; &gt; Senior Policy Counselor<BR>&gt; &gt; ICANN -
Brussels<BR>&gt; &gt; +32 2 234 7874 tel<BR>&gt; &gt; +32 2 234 7848
fax<BR>&gt; &gt; +32 497 07 4243 mob<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>