ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] Geographic and Geopolitical Subgroup Report

  • To: <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] Geographic and Geopolitical Subgroup Report
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 13:17:09 -0400

Hello All:

Please find the report from the Geographical and Geopolitical subgroup.
There was consensus among the group on the recommendations set forth in
the report, as well as the report itself. The only qualification to this
statement is in connection with the summary of legal decisions in
Section 3 that I added last night following some last minute research.
The subgroup has not yet had the ability to review and comment on these
additions, however, in the interest of time given our tight time frame I
wanted to circulate the current draft to the entire list.

As Chuck previously noted I sought to step down as Chair a couple of
weeks ago, however, Chuck would only recognize my resignation effective
this Friday. The reason for my desire to step down as chair is because I
was recently retained by .ASIA to assist in finalizing their policies
and procedures associated with the launch of their registry in the
coming months. I have also begun working on a more formal basis with
Connecting.NYC a New York non-profit that will be seeking a .NYC
extension in the next gTLD round, see
http://www.openplans.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/. Although these new
interests have not had any impact on the work of this or the predecessor
subgroup over the past several months, my initial decision to step down
as chair was to preserve the collective work of a diverse group of
interests (registry, registrar, business, and civil society) from any
group that might seek to undermine this excellent team effort.

Happy reading.

Best regards,

Michael