ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] gTLD string Reserved Names sub-group report

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] gTLD string Reserved Names sub-group report
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 08:50:36 -0700

to an existing TLD (ccTLD or gTLD) and then providing<BR>
&gt; registration services at the sub domain (3rd or lower). I believe
this<BR>&gt; practice can/should be banned/restricted.<BR></div>
Why? So ccTLDs (net.uk, org.uk, etc.) should be banned from doing this?
I think such a ban within gTLDs or ccTLDs is not within ICANN's scope, nor
should it be.</div>
Policy<BR>The Go Daddy Group, Inc.<BR>Mobile: 319-329-9804<BR>Office:
319-294-3940<BR>Fax: 480-247-4516<BR><A
href="mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx";>tim@xxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><BR>How am I doing? Please
contact my direct supervisor at <A
href="mailto:president@xxxxxxxxxxx";>president@xxxxxxxxxxx</A> with any
feedback.<BR><BR>
This email message and any attachments hereto is intended for use only
by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or
confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any copy
of this message and its attachments.<BR><BR></div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>
Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] gTLD string Reserved Names sub-group
report<BR>From: "Michael D. Palage" &lt;Michael@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Wed,
May 09, 2007 9:25 am<BR>To: &lt;gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR><PRE>Ray,

Thanks for your hard work, and my apologizes for not speaking up sooner,
however, as previously stated I have had my head buried in the
geographical/geopolitical subgroup.

I have some concerns about the proposed wording of a registry operator
being able to register its name during a sunrise process, as this
process is generally made available only trademark holders. First this
would appears to contradict the previous opinion of Louis Touton,
ICANN's former general counsel. Please refer to the following letter
from ICANN to the GAC regarding a trademark application in connection
with a ccTLD, see
<A
href="http://www.icann.org/correspondence/touton-letter-to-tarmizi-10feb03.htm";
target=_blank>http://www.icann.org/correspondence/touton-letter-to-tarmizi-10feb03.htm</A>
There is also a restriction under US trademark law regarding the mere
registration of a TLD as a trademark, see EXAMINATION GUIDE NO. 2-99,
<A href="http://www.uspto.gov/go/tac/notices/guide299.htm";
target=_blank>http://www.uspto.gov/go/tac/notices/guide299.htm</A>.

Now of course registries could probably find some favorable national
trademark authority to register their TLD as a trademark, or to obtain a
registration in another class as many gTLD registry operators have
already done, but I believe establishing a rule that will only be gamed
is not constructive.

I have consistently argued in various subgroups (IANA/ICANN,
Geographical/Geopolitical, gTLD string reservations) ICANN should not be
about conveying rights in gross to string designations. Trademark law
does not recognize such rights, so I submit that unless a group claiming
such rights can establish a solid international legal basis for such
rights, ICANN should not recognize/codify them in their contracts.

This being said, I do have an objection about rouge registries.
Specifically, registrants registering second level domains that
correspond to an existing TLD (ccTLD or gTLD) and then providing
registration services at the sub domain (3rd or lower). I believe this
practice can/should be banned/restricted.

Best regards,

Michael