ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy

  • To: Mike Rodenbaugh <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:14:32 -0700

both&nbsp;are slightly off point.</div>
What level of protection do trademarks deserve? And I believe the answer to
that should be based on existing laws that apply to the gTLD operator. Those
may be local or International in nature, but they must be applicable to that
operator.</div>
(FTDA). It would certainly apply to any gTLD operator that is based in the US.
The FTDA&nbsp;requires that both the *distinctiveness* and *fame* of a
trademark in question&nbsp;be considered when deciding whether a particular use
dilutes&nbsp;the trademark in question.</div>
enough to garner protection under the FTDA. Neither are phrases like gold
medal, bull dog, or blue ribbon. However, completely fanciful or fabricated
terms like Kodak, Exxon, or Mazda are highly distinctive and protectable under
the FTDA. The fame of a mark is really a secondary consideration once
distinctiveness has been established.</div>
or creation of TLDs that are&nbsp;identical to famous marks that are not
distinctive. There are legitimate non-dilutive, non-infringing uses for
universal.tld or goldmedal.tld. And there should be no reason under US law why
someone couldn't apply for and get gTLDs like .star. However, SLDs&nbsp;such
as&nbsp;exxon.tld and gTLDs such as .mazda would clearly violate the FTDA.</div>
truly disctinctive marks and yet allowing free use of common words and phrases
that no entity has the right to take out of common use.</div>
the FTDA. Even the Circuit Courts within the US do not all agree. And that is
just one statute. There are others within US law, and certainly many others
throughout the world. And many of these laws and statutes are based on *use* to
determine whether there is a violation. All of this, I believe, makes it clear
that the following MUST be ICANN's policy going forward considering its limited
mission:</div>
any, prior rights protection mechanisms&nbsp;should be used during rollout of
new gTLDs. And gTLD operators who choose to use such mechanisms&nbsp;should be
more diligent in considering the totality of what is and is not protectable
under applicable laws and statues.</div>
International law (although this should go without saying).</div>
mission. </div>
should be restricted to those areas that are not otherwise protected. The
plethora of laws, statutes, regulations, etc. already provide sufficient
protection against the concerns raised by Mike and others. The fact that ICANN
also provides the UDRP is a bonus.</div>
Policy<BR>The Go Daddy Group, Inc.<BR><A
href="mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx";>tim@xxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><BR>This email message and
any attachments hereto is intended for use only by the addressee(s) named
herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If
you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and
permanently delete the original and any copy of this message and its
attachments.<BR><BR></div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: [gnso-rn-wg]
RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso<BR>recommendations on new gtld
policy<BR>From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" &lt;mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Mon, June
04, 2007 8:12 pm<BR>To: &lt;robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc:
&lt;gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;,
&nbsp;&lt;gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR><PRE>This is a rather silly
discussion if it is predicated on the notion that
a non-profit will want to own and operate a TLD, corresponding to a
well-known trademark, for some non-commercial purpose.  It would be an
extremely ridiculous NGO that wanted to spend tens or hundreds of
thousands of dollars to own and operate a TLD for the purpose of
criticizing one company, when it could spend under $100 for any number
of other domain name options.

The only TLDs that non-profit entities are likely to want are TLDs that
correspond to their trademarks, for the same reasons that other
well-known trademark owners might want a corresponding TLD.

Is the NCUC aware of any specific organization interested in registering
a 'gripe TLD'?  Assuming so, I think ICANN would make a much more
reasonable decision to disallow that because activity of registering
domains for others (the function of a registry, after all) would be
inherently commercial, and would be confusing and an aid to criminals as
previously stated.

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.

NOTICE:  This communication is confidential and may be protected by
attorney-client and/or work product privilege.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify me by reply, and delete this
communication and any attachments.