ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-stakeholder-charters]

Comment on the NCSG Charter

  • To: gnso-stakeholder-charters@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on the NCSG Charter
  • From: Chun Eung Hwi <ehchun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:18:03 +0900

We, non-commercials, have hoped to establish more balanced decision
making structure in the development of policies within ICANN.
Throughout last long history, this attempt to improve the present
unbalanced structure have used up so much time and energy. Now, we are
making a parity structure between commercial interests and
non-commercial or public interests. However, as many comments has
already been made, ‘constituency based structure’ would severely break
up this well-designed parity structure. Basically, non-commercial
interests could be diverse and it is an inherent feature, but such
diversity can produce some consensus and it can be realized in a way
of stakeholder group wide election – if we don’t believe this
possibility, we should leave out consensus building principle itself.
With this consensus building possibility, non-commercials could
negotiate or create better policies more flexibly. This is not
contradictory to the interest of each constituencies at all.

Moreover, we, non-commercials, are deeply frustrated at the
one-sidedly, top-down way given new NCSG Charter, because it is very
far away from civil society proposed NCSG Charter, which has been
supported by more than 80 non-commercial organizations and the output
of bottom-up process including at-large group or more during last many
months. ICANN should respect and encourage this whole process and its
outcome, but not discourage those. We hope civil society proposed NCSG
Charter could be put on the table again.

Chun Eung Hwi
PeaceNet Korea

--
Chun Eung Hwi