ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

[gnso-sti] Bearing the cost of the Clearinghouse

  • To: GNSO STI <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-sti] Bearing the cost of the Clearinghouse
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:49:00 -0500

For pre-launch sunrise process, the only real source of money is the TM holder, either at the time that a TM is registered with the Clearinghouse (CH), or when a sunrise domain name is granted.

For a pre-launch IP Claims process, it is not likely that the potential registrant will be billed by the CH for receiving a claims notice, so the only source of funds is the TM holder (at CH registration time or when a notice is sent out on their behalf) or the registry (which will in turn bill it to someone).

It is important that we either describe or at least not forbid a model that will allow the CH to cover its costs in both the case of very few new gTLD launches and in the case of many new gTLD launches.

Presumably the CH will charge the TM holder at registration time for being in the CH.

My question is how does the CH get additional funds based on the actual gTLD launch volume of work.

For sunrise:
a) it bills the TM holder again every time they are included in a sunrise
b) it bills the registry, and the registry includes it in the sunrise registration cost.

I suggest that b) is a far more scalable and efficient model.

For an IP Claims process, I have no idea how the CH charges to ensure that it gets revenue commensurate with work performed.

With regards to Jeff's note, the IRT (if I remember correctly) did specify that registries should not be charged for specific CH services. It did not specify who SHOULD be charged, and I think that this was at least part of the thrust of the Board question on that matter. Associated with this is the question about whether ICANN should explicitly fund any part of the CH, which I suspect we will all answer NO to.

Alan