ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

RE: [gnso-sti] RE: Updated Strawman Proposal for Trademark Clearinghouse

  • To: "'GNSO STI'" <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sti] RE: Updated Strawman Proposal for Trademark Clearinghouse
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:42:52 -0800

Thanks Margie.

I think there is not consensus on deleting this language from Sec. 6:
Delete: [Voluntary use by registries of database to support common law
rights, including "marks contained," for pre-launch protections. ]  Same
with the deletes from Sec. 4 re voluntary uses of the TMC, and the addition
of language to this effect in Sec. 2:  "TC Service Provider is  required to
maintain a separate TC database and cannot use the TC database to provide
ancillary services."

There certainly cannot be consensus that the TMC cannot be used in these
ways, even if a registry operator wishes.  What reason could exist for
denying additional protections or services in this regard, if a registry
wants to provide them?   The TMC, at minimum, must be designed to support
them.

Seems we still have a ways to go on Sec. 7 too.

The burden on everyone in this group is enormous, absence/silence cannot be
construed as agreement with any apparent consensus reached during any
particular call.

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW

548 Market Street