ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] MP3 Thick Whois PDP Working Group - Tuesday 4 December 2012 at 15:00 UTC

  • To: "gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] MP3 Thick Whois PDP Working Group - Tuesday 4 December 2012 at 15:00 UTC
  • From: Julia Charvolen <julia.charvolen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 03:51:02 -0800

Dear All,

 The next call for the Thick WhoisPDP Working Group is scheduled on Tuesday 11
December 2012 at 15:00 UTC

Please find the MP3 recording of the Thick WhoisPDP Working Group call held on
Tuesday 4 December 2012 at 15:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-thick-whois-20121204-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#aug>nov

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Marc Anderson – RySG
Titi Akinsanmi – At Large
Roy Balleste – NCUC
Iliya Bazlyankov – RrSG
Don Blumenthal – RySG
Ray Fassett – RySG
Christopher George – IPC
Alan Greenberg – At Large
Volker Greimann – RrSG
Frederic Guillemaut – RrSG
Caroline Hoover – RySG
Marie-Laure Lemineur - NPOC
Steve Metalitz – IPC
Jeff Neumann – RySG
Mikey O'Connor – ISPCP
Susan Prosser – RrSG
Tim Ruiz – RrSG

Jill Titzer – RrSG

Rick Wesson - RrSG

Apologies:

Wilson Abigaba – RrSG
Avri Doria – NCSG
Amr Elsadr – NCSG

Ope Oodusan – At Large

Normann Ritchie – RySG

Carlton Samuels – At Large

Marika Konings

ICANN staff:

Berry Cobb

Julia Charvolen

Mailing list archives:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg/

Wiki page:

https://community.icann.org/x/whgQAg

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julia Charvolen

On behalf of GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript:

Marika Konings:Welcome to the 'thick' Whois PDP WG Meeting of 4 December 2012
  Marie-laure Lemineur:hello to all, could someone tell me what is the phone
number to call from Costa Rica plse?
  Steve Metalitz:Is the phone bridge working?  I hear no one.
  Mike O'Connor:steve -- can you hear us now?
  Mike O'Connor:it's workin for me
  Volker Greimann:we cannot hear you either
  Volker Greimann:i hear
  Mike O'Connor:who else can't hear?
  Volker Greimann:now i heard you steve
  Berry Cobb:Steve,  Please redial in
  Mike O'Connor:steve are you on 866-692-5726
  Volker Greimann:alternate numbers
  Steve Metalitz:I just did but still silence after being placed in the
conference
  Don:I'm on the old number.
  Volker Greimann:we are discussing your case lively, Steve
  Mike O'Connor:steve it looks like you've dropped
  Berry Cobb:Steve, we do not see you in the verizon call log
  Alan Greenberg:Steve, pls call back
  Volker Greimann:nice post, Mikey
  Mike O'Connor:thanks!
  Steve Metalitz:OK I am in on the other number
  Mike O'Connor:can you hear ok now?
  Steve Metalitz:Yes
  Mike O'Connor:neato
  Marie-laure Lemineur:the number to call from Costa Rica  pls..
  Julia Charvolen:Marie Laure do you have a number we can dial out to you please
  Berry Cobb:All SOIs are accounted for.
  Marie-laure Lemineur:@julia (506) 22 49 07 46
  Julia Charvolen:@ Marie Laure thank you
  Marie-laure Lemineur::)
  Julia Charvolen:Marie Laure joined audio bridge
  Marie-laure Lemineur:thks
  Rick Wesson:I was around and a registrar...
  Tim Ruiz:Thanks Allan. I guess I see that as anecdotal, not empirical or
factual. But I understand now what you're after.
  Jeff Neuman:Dot us was a little different, but I would be happy to discuss
  Tim Ruiz:Agree with Steve!
  Tim Ruiz:Exactly, it doesn't mean we cannot keep moving forward on the other
items.
  Rick Wesson:Folks that were around: Ross Raider (2cows) Robert Conneley,
Chuck Gomes (vgrs)
  Jeff Neuman:I think Michael Young from Afilias was there
  Rick Wesson:really a large number of ICANN participantes were around for the
transition of both .us and .org. Several are now board members too
  Jeff Neuman:I could probably find Bruce Beckwith
  Jeff Neuman:who was at PIR at the time
  Rick Wesson:Did ICANN record anything from the transition?
  Alan Greenberg:MIchael is no longer with Afilias, but is easily reachable.
  Don:I can track the appropriate current and former PIR and Afilias folks.
  Jeff Neuman:I agree with Rick....Same was true for .us
  Jeff Neuman:Lots of complaining at the beginning, but everything worked out
  Tim Ruiz:@Rick, right, I don't disagree, as long as "because we can" is not
the end all of policy development.
  Steve Metalitz:Having a list of ccTLDs that made the transition would be
useful.  Rick has mentioned .us.  Others?
  Tim Ruiz:I think that not just ccTLDs that converted, but even if they been
thick all along, their experiences both positive and negative, advice etc.
  Jeff Neuman:I have reached out to Michael Young
  Jeff Neuman:and he will likely be the best resource.
  Don:I already sent Michael a note about his involvement with the PIR process.
  Rick Wesson:almost all ccTLDs supporting EPP are thick
  Don:Michael also is chair of the Whois survey group., which means he could be
good or burned out.
  Rick Wesson:nice link for background material on ccTLDs -- its a few years
old, but usefule
  Rick Wesson:http://www.knujon.com/ccTLD_Research_knujon_052109.pdf
  Steve Metalitz:I meant to sign up for privacy/data protection but that does
not appear on the document.  Please add me.
  Jeff Neuman:@Don - We can be very convincing when we want to be :)
  Ray Fassett (.JOBS):Ray Fassett signs up for #1 and #8
  Berry Cobb:Just a reminder, this version does not include Don, Marc, and
Volker.
  Carolyn Hoover:I just joined the call - sorry but system problems here...
  Rick Wesson:how is authortative fractured in policy? Me thinks the word
authortative is probably the wrong word you are fighting over
  Marc Anderson:I agree that it should be one bucket.  It makes sense to have
the working group handle the challenges of technical vs Policy
Authoritativeness.
  Jeff Neuman:Agree with 2 different terms, but having 1 group look at
  Rick Wesson:an excellent refrence work on whouis requirements is RFC3707
  Rick Wesson:Cross Registry Internet Service Protocol (CRISP) Requirements
  Rick Wesson:https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3707
  Don:MIkey, what mind map program to do you use. Possible to post your work
file for off line viewing and individual brainstorming?
  Don:CRISP? Brings back memories, along with IRIS.
  Rick Wesson:http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
  Jeff Neuman:I had to drop...see you all online
  Steve Metalitz:Existing Whois applications strikes me as more technical than
policy.  Will existing applications designed for thin work with thick?
  Don:Thanks Rick. Found the Mac version.
  Rick Wesson:the "applications" for :43 are regularly updated as ccTLDs change
more than gTLDs and thus are frequently updated to handle changes
  Marc Anderson:I wouldn't group all of technical together.  Synchronization /
Migration is potentially a large topic by itself.
  Ray Fassett (.JOBS):thanks Mikey
  Marc Anderson:thank you everyone
  Marie-laure Lemineur:thank  you
  Roy Balleste:Thank you Mikey.