ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] in preparation for the call tomorrow

  • To: Thick Whois WG <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] in preparation for the call tomorrow
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 03:48:35 +0800

hi,

Thanks for this bit of history.  It explains a lot of the original technical
arguments, yet still does not point to there having been a prior policy
decision by the Board where all the aspects of the difference where discussed
by the community and a decision was made to go beyond the current predominant
model.

It also goes some way to explain why Registries should be authoritative and not
registrars, doesn't it?

avri

On 18 Oct 2013, at 21:19, Volker Greimann wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> thank you for this detailed information which confirmed our basic assumptions
> leading up to our report. Very helpful!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Volker
>

>> Rick is right about the discussion of thick vs. thin.  It took place way
>> before ICANN got involved.  In fact, the first thick registries (.biz and
>> .info) voluntarily chose to be thick in their applications in 2000.  We
>> chose this because we believed there was greater security in thick
>> registries, better back-up (at a time when no registrar did data escrow),
>> and help to the transfer process.  I believe it was built in some of the
>> early models of EPP (which we called XRP back then) before it was a
>> standard.
>>
>> More trivia…back then it was called a politically incorrect “fat model” as
>> opposed to “thick”.

off topic:

I tend to think calling someone thick is becoming as, or more, politically
incorrect than calling someone fat.  Personally I accept that I am fat, but
call me thick and I worry.

And no one objects to a fat paycheck.