ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-travel-dt]

[gnso-travel-dt] the original ad-hoc process used - and a thought

  • To: gnso-travel-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-travel-dt] the original ad-hoc process used - and a thought
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:06:43 -0400

Hi,

As I am sure people remember, the process used for Cairo involved each of the constituencies presenting a list of 0-3 people according to any criteria they choose to use. The first person on each constituencies list was automatically qualified for travel support.

The second step was for a representative of each of the constituencies to participate in an ad-hoc team to figure out how to distribute the rest of budgeted travel slots. This list was then voted on by the council.

Several people have argued that it was not legitimate for the council to take such a vote when some of those voting could be chosen for travel support. While I disagree with the claims of illegitimacy, I could be wrong and it is worth getting an opinion from legal counsel on this.

An alternative I considered at the time and one which I planned to use had we not been able to accommodate everyone from all of the constituency's lists or if contention had been too great was to use a transparent and verifiable random selection method as documented in RFC 3797. This sort of process is cleaner and easier then one that involves a external selection committee that may or may not be considered unbiased (do we keep everyone who knows anything about ICANN or who registers a domain name off this panel?) or a process based on need , which to be reasonable would require some sort of verification stronger then the famous giggle test.

a.