ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-travel-dt]

[gnso-travel-dt] Travel drafting team - some ideas after the conference call

  • To: gnso-travel-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-travel-dt] Travel drafting team - some ideas after the conference call
  • From: Olga Cavalli <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:43:31 -0300

Hi,
I hope you are doing well, I just finished listening to the conference call
recording. As per Avri´s request I am sending some initial notes and ideas
to share with you and see how to move forward.

First let me summarize some comments made during the conference call:

*1- Reasons for allocating additional funding for former councilors:*

   - As this is a particular meeting with changes in structure, continuity
   is pertinent for a small number of retiring councilors.
   - Could be good helping incoming councillors with the assistance of
   former councilors.
   - It is very helpful having more than one representative of a
   constituency in a face to face ICANN meeting.

*2- Other ideas*

   - New councilors could participate in conference calls prior to Seoul, if
   we know who they are.
   - Could be good to have a clear understanding of how many would need this
   funding.
   - There should be balance between limited funds and the need for
   participation.
   - Constituencies usually deal with changes at the end of the year and
   these changes should not be a problem.

*
3- Reasons for not  allocating additional funds on former councilors
attending meeting:*

   - This is not a special situation for spending money on coordination.

I also used Rob´s document as a basis for a preliminary analysis of how many
former councilors would need funding for Seoul.

In reviewing the list I found *10 possible councilors that may not be
present in the next meeting,*( I excluded Noncom Appointees as their
participation follows the normal noncom appointing rules, please tell me if
this is a right assumption)

   - Commercial Stakeholder group: 6 six
   - Registries: 1 one
   - Registrars: 2 two
   - NCUC: 1 one

I am attaching the file I drafted for reference.
*
Some ideas on how to move forward:*

It could be convenient to determine how many former councilors should need
funding for Seoul.

One idea could be to ask each constituency / stakeholder group about this,
specially taking in consideration that

 "constituencies usually deal with changes at the end of the year and these
changes should not be a problem"

Once we have a clearer idea of how many people should need extra funding
,then we can ask ICANN Staff if this funding is feasible.

Looking forward to receiving your comments.

Best regards, have a nice weekend.

Olga

--
Olga Cavalli, Dr. Ing.