ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-udrp-dt]

[gnso-udrp-dt] FW: ICANN UDRP Questionnaire

  • To: "gnso-udrp-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-udrp-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-udrp-dt] FW: ICANN UDRP Questionnaire
  • From: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:04:52 -0700

Dear All,

Please find below a response I received today from WIPO for your information.

Best Regards,
Margie

_________

Margie Milam
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN
_________
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:21 PM
To: Margie Milam
Subject: ICANN UDRP Questionnaire

Dear Ms. Milam,

Thank you for your below message of April 21, 2011 introducing an extensive
Questionnaire as a lead-in to a possible ICANN process for UDRP revision.

WIPO believes in the UDRP.  The resounding success of this live legal mechanism
is rooted in substantive and procedural expert understanding.  WIPO expects to
be making a number of observations on the envisaged process and on the UDRP
more generally at the upcoming ICANN webinar.  Those observations also imply a
position with respect to the ICANN Questionnaire.

In connection with the latter, one would assume that parties leading a drive
towards UDRP revision are themselves motivated and informed by independent
appreciation of the UDRP experience thus far, including the full scale of
materially relevant publicly available data.

In this connection, having provided in 1999 the blueprint for the UDRP, WIPO
makes freely available extensive resources to help to navigate and understand
the 21,000 posted cases processed by WIPO on a non-profit basis since.  The
latest example of this is the second edition of WIPO's jurisprudential
Overview.  Other globally unique WIPO tools include the WIPO UDRP Legal Index,
the WIPO Selection of UDRP Court Cases, and real-time statistics on WIPO UDRP
cases and decisions.  In addition, the WIPO Center is on record with numerous
submissions and correspondence to ICANN, for example on registrar issues.  WIPO
also has contributed extensive suggestions and comments to ICANN on rights
protection mechanisms for an expanded DNS, which as-yet unproven mechanisms
must properly interact with the UDRP.  Links to a selection of these resources
are provided below.

Helpful as these resources may be for ICANN's purposes, we submit that any
effort to revise trademark owners' principal rights-protection mechanism
available in the DNS, in particular where such revision appears to target the
UDRP's very definition of cybersquatting, inevitably would have to begin by
examining on a more fundamental level the persisting business of cybersquatting
itself, including the stakes for DNS intermediaries and authorities.

Please feel free to share with stakeholders the present WIPO reaction.

With best wishes,

Erik Wilbers

Director, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center

1. First WIPO Report

The blueprint of the current UDRP is in the First WIPO Report
(www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/report-final1.pdf<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/report-final1.pdf>).
  This Report expresses a coherent vision culminating from extensive
international consultations and careful substantive reflection
(www.wipo.int/amc/en/processes/process1/consultations/index.html<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/processes/process1/consultations/index.html>).

In 2001, a Second WIPO Report
(http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/processes/process2/report/html/report.html)
explored policy options for other types of identifiers in the DNS.

In 2005, WIPO further produced a report
(http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/reports/newgtld-ip/index.html) analyzing
the UDRP experience in the wider context of trademark protection in an expanded
DNS.

2. Article on UDRP design elements (available at request)

The UDRP:  Design Elements of an Effective ADR Mechanism, by Nicholas Smith and
Erik Wilbers.

3. WIPO Jurisprudential "Overview 2.0"

www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/overview2.0/<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/overview2.0/>

This second edition of the WIPO Overview published in March 2011 represents a
major update and extension of the original version.  A long time in the making,
this updated edition carefully and conservatively distills observed trends and
developments from the more than 10,000 WIPO Panel decisions that have been
rendered since the original edition of the WIPO Overview was first published in
early 2005.

Drawing on the over 20,000 UDRP cases administered by the WIPO Center since the
UDRP's introduction, it reflects a balanced statement of some 50 substantive
and procedural issues now included.  The WIPO Overview 2.0 cites over 380
decisions (formerly 100) from over 180 (formerly 80) different UDRP panelists.

A globally unique tool, the freely available WIPO Overview not only helps
parties and panelists around the world, but may also serve as a timely reminder
of the need to apply expert care in the development of ADR mechanisms for the
DNS.

4. WIPO UDRP Legal Index

Like the WIPO UDRP jurisprudential Overview, the WIPO UDRP Legal Index
(www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/legalindex.jsp<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/legalindex.jsp>)
 is a globally unique reference tool, covering over 20,000 WIPO UDRP cases.

5. WIPO Domain Name Workshops and Panelist meetings

Every year since 2000, WIPO has held domain name dispute resolution Workshops
and Panelists Meetings.  Furthermore, in 2009, the Center held a conference:
WIPO Conference: 10 Years UDRP - What's Next?
(www.wipo.int/amc/en/events/workshops/2009/10yrs-udrp/index.html<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/events/workshops/2009/10yrs-udrp/index.html>).
  WIPO's Workshops are attended by large numbers of DNS counsel and
stakeholders from around the world.  Set out below is the announcement for the
2011 WIPO Workshop:

"The WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center plans to hold its annual Advanced
Workshop on Domain Name Dispute Resolution [
www.wipo.int/amc/en/events/workshops/2011/domainname/<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/events/workshops/2011/domainname/>
 ] in Geneva (Switzerland) Tuesday, October 11 and Wednesday, October 12, 2011.

The Advanced Workshop will focus mainly on the trends of UDRP decisions with
regard to the most important substantive and procedural issues. Thus, in
addition to those wishing to gain insight into the UDRP mechanism, this
Advanced Workshop is of particular interest to those who have been or who may
become involved in UDRP proceedings. The 2011 Workshop will also cover evolving
developments in WIPO Center practices and resources, as well as ICANN's plans
for the launch of new gTLDs, topics of interest to parties to a domain dispute
as well as trademark holders generally. The Advanced Workshop also represents
an opportunity for registrars and ccTLD administrators to increase their
knowledge of UDRP decisions.

The faculty will consist of experienced WIPO UDRP panelists, a trademark
in-house counsel and senior legal staff of the Center. The Workshop will
include practical break-out sessions, followed by discussion between
participants and instructors."

6.  WIPO Domain Name Dispute Resolution Statistics;  WIPO Center 2011 Press
Release

WIPO makes available online a wide range of UDRP-related real-time case
statistics, at:
www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/statistics/<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/statistics/>

On March 31, 2011, WIPO issued the following press release that includes a
domain name update:
www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2011/article_0010.html<http://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2011/article_0010.html>

7.  ccTLDs using the UDRP or variations thereof

Many countries have introduced domain name policies in their ccTLDs that are
identical to or rooted in the UDRP.  At
www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/cctld/<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/cctld/>,
WIPO provides an overview of these policies and procedures.

8. Selected other WIPO initiatives and observations

- eUDRP:
www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann301208.pdf<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann301208.pdf>

- eUDRP follow-up letter:
www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann170909.pdf<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann170909.pdf>

- UDRP provider norms:

- http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/amc/en/docs/icann040707.pdf

- http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/amc/en/docs/icann291107.pdf

- April 2009 WIPO proposal for a UDRP complement "Expedited Suspension
Mechanism":
www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann030409.pdf<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann030409.pdf>

- Other WIPO proposals and observations:

          -
www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/newgtld/<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/newgtld/>

          -
www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/resources/icann/<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/resources/icann/>

9. Overview of UDRP cases addressed in court

This
(www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/challenged/index.html<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/challenged/index.html>)
 is a selection of court orders and decisions in relation to specific UDRP
cases that have come to the attention of the WIPO Center.

10. Registrar conduct in the UDRP

WIPO Center letters to ICANN discussing registrar conduct:

- Nameview:
www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann111209.pdf<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann111209.pdf>

- Lead Networks:
www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann090409.pdf<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/docs/icann090409.pdf>