ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Preamble

  • To: "gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Preamble
  • From: Jean Christophe VIGNES <jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 04:28:42 +0100

I too would like to know more but would also need to be convinced from a
practical standpoint.

The main reason the VI debate is so "hot" right now is because of new gTLDs:
what would we be looking to achieve with regards to existing ones? Even if
it would be possible from a legal standpoint (which remains to be confirmed)
I don't see the point.

So as far as drafting goes, I believe the Charter should only cover new
gTLDs.

On Objective 1, standard is too imprecise since history shows there has been
variation -- as stated on the call I believe "current" would be a better
choice.

As for Objective 2, I agree CO should be mentionned as a separate concept
and reference should be made to "equal access"  as it is a key factor in the
VI debate.

I'm not sure Objective 3 is even practical, to be honest...

Objective 4 is a must.

JC

Le 11/02/10 02:04, « Mike Rodenbaugh » <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Avri said:  i do not believe we can make consensus policy on current gTLDS,
> only recommend future actions
>
> I respectfully disagree.  Wasn't this battle fought over PDP '06 --
> Contractual Conditions, and resolved that in fact the Registry Agreements
> mean what they say... Consensus Policy generally can be adopted so long as
> the issue is not excluded within the 'picket fence'?
>
> I think it was.  So I also support Stephane's call for more info and
> analysis from ICANN counsel as to how they came to that (contrary)
> conclusion again now, and how that harmonizes with PDP '06 policy.  We also
> should see their analysis of the relevant RAA language, since the Issues
> Report only addressed the .ORG registry agreement language on this issue.
> That portion of the Issues Report (p. 18-21) seems to ignore the plain
> meaning of the words "without limitation" in the Consensus Policy clause...
>
> "Consensus Policies shall relate to one or more of the following... (4)
> registry policies reasonably necessary to implement Consensus Policies
> relating to registry operations or registrars; ....  Such categories of
> issues referred to in the preceding sentence shall include, without
> limitation: ....
>
> While #4 is somewhat circular and thus poorly drafted, it cannot be
> disregarded.  I interpret it to mean that Consensus Policy may be developed
> as to any issue affecting registry operations, unless excluded by the next
> section of the contract, which lists the nine topics on which Consensus
> Policy cannot touch -- and this issue is not excluded.  This interpretation
> makes sense, not only in light of the English language, but also in light of
> the entire point of Consensus Policy, that it must also have the input and
> advice of the contract parties in order to be approved.
>
> I agree with Avri that there has long been de facto policy in place, as set
> forth in the com/net/org agreements and only recently eviscerated in a few
> of the newer TLDs, via bilateral negotiations between ICANN Staff and those
> registries.  That policy clearly affects registry operations insofar as it
> limits their cross-ownership of registrars.  So even if #4 above is
> circular, this situation is even more clearly within the scope of GNSO
> policy purview, for any gTLDs.
>
> Re new gTLDs, the Business Constituency urges Staff to preserve the status
> quo as set forth in com/net/org agreements, within the new gTLD registry
> agreement, unless and until such time as the policy is changed by Consensus
> Policy.  If Consensus Policy is developed which would loosen those
> restrictions, then we are confident that would be welcomed by the new
> contracting parties at that time.  However, if Staff continues on the
> present course, it will substantially loosen these restrictions for new
> gTLDs on its own volition.  If Consensus Policy later is developed which
> would require more restrictions than the Staff has implemented, then it
> [...]

______________________
Jean-Christophe Vignes

Executive Vice-President & General Counsel
DCL Group
2, rue Léon Laval
L-3372 Leudelange

Tel.:  +352  20 200 123
Mobile : +352 691 600 424
Fax.:   +352 20 300 123
Mailto: JCVignes@xxxxxxxxxxx

www.datacenter.eu   | www.eurodns.com   | www.voipgate.com

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and
delete it from your system. You must not copy the message or disclose its
contents to anyone.

Think of the environment: don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.