ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Draft agenda for the VI WG call next week

  • To: "'Mueller@xxxxxxx'" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>, "'richardtindal@xxxxxx'" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "'icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Draft agenda for the VI WG call next week
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:49:13 -0400

Milton,

Why are you tying the vertical integration issue with equal access.  They are
actually not related concepts and need to be kept separate.  For example, if
the motivation is to allow vertical integration to allow innovation, ICANN's
economists have acknowledged on a number of occassions that the equal access
requirement runs counter to the notion of innovation and competition at the
registry level.  It may help competition at the registrar level but not the
registry level.  That was the reason we could not support the drafting team's
definitions.   We must analyze those subjects separately.

I look forward to this debate, however, once the team is fully formed after
tomorrow.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.