ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:07:52 -0300

Hi,

As one of those who spoke in favor of phasing, let me explain myself.

In any phasing, dealing with recommendations for the current round should be
phase I and should be completed as quickly as possible without any deviations
for side issues.

If, on the other hand there are more complicated issues that we want to
consider with relation to incumbent practice or what would pertain in future
rounds that is the stuff I would recommend for a second phase.  Additionally,
if for example we decide on a set of practices that are ok for this current
round, but then decide that we want to consider what happens when conditions
change and the registry wants to change its model , that is an issue I would
defer to a second phase.  On the other hand if we set a bunch conditions
related to co/cross ownership for new first round registries and want to
consider allowing an incumbent to adopt that model, that too is something I
would recommend pushing off to a later phase.  BTW, I would not be surprised in
some of these hypothetical issues required going back to the GNSO for a charter
renewal at some point (not recommending that for now).

In short I recommend phasing and the creation of a phase II so that we have a
place to put any issue that comes up that does not immediately affect the
current new gTLD process.  For all of the stuff related to this round - I hope
we have  our recommendations in time for Brussels, if not before.

a.