ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI -- alternative thinking

  • To: Jean Christophe VIGNES <jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI -- alternative thinking
  • From: Ching Chiao <chiao@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:59:24 +0800

Dear JC,

In fact we did not even try as I consider but this was in my mind and
communication with our ccTLD members.

I think our goal is the same -- both registry and registrar can be
innovative in technology and business model, and us as a WG to help ICANN to
do things right. Please do not get me wrong.

Best to you,

Ching

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Jean Christophe VIGNES <
jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Ching,
>
> So your answer is "we tried VI but ICANN/Gac didn't want us to... So now
> others can't have it either cause that would be unfair?" :-)
>
> If you thought VI was a good thing in some cases (and your "local niche
> market" example does make perfect sense and could apply to many a new TLD
> project out there) why not work towards a possibilty of VI now that could be
> helpful to, say, some RegionTLD in Asia that would be faced with the same
> issues you were?
>
> We have a chance to try and change things here (some would say for the
> better) why stay on the status quo you say you didn't like in the first
> place?
>
> JC
>
> Envoyé de mon iPhone 3GS
>
> Le 26 mars 2010 à 07:53, "Ching Chiao" <chiao@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:
> chiao@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> a écrit :
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Let me try to reply briefly and perhaps to take this offline if necessary.
> Legal requirement on registry and registrar are set to be different, and
> should be different and separated (two contracts) in a foreseeable future
> unless the community feel like changing it -- the task we are doing.  As a
> sTLD even we've struggled with available sales channel, we've abided by
> what's signed with ICANN (under strong influence by GAC back then) and so
> far we live with this. I do hope the outcome of our WG can eliminate
> obstacles and registry, registrar and registrant can benefit from it.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Ching
>

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Jeff Eckhaus <<mailto:
> eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:
> eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Ching Chiao
>
> Everything you are saying in the first few paragraphs makes me think you
> would like to see some sort of Vertical Integration, then in the last
> paragraph you state you are in favor of separation.
>
> I do not know if you want to answer the question or if this is the right
> time or place to answer but I am curious why you favor separation.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

> From: <mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx> owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>