ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI in practice, Rights Protection Mechanisms, Registry Agreements and Variants of TLDs

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI in practice, Rights Protection Mechanisms, Registry Agreements and Variants of TLDs
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:33:39 -0400

Hi,

While many of us want to protect consumers, not all of us, myself included, see
the euphemistically  "rights protection mechanisms' as protecting many
people's, including consumers, rights.  It is all well and good for IPR
advocates to think of it this way, but we should not all be asked to presume
that IPR is really intended primarily for consumer protection.

This is not to say that it is illegitimate for IPR people to fight for IPR
interests I would hope, however, that the small contribution IPR may make to
consumer protection or to the people's right to communication is not seen as a
replacement for the real rights of consumers, registrants, Internet users and
those who want to use the Internet to create new opportunities for the people
of developing regions and of suppressed communities.

On the blocking example provided, it is clever, I will admit.  But since a
single registrant could not transfer such a name, the only remedy that could be
offered would seem to be to take it down and block its further usage.  It is
well know that the UDRP needs fixing, so if this facet also needs to be fixed
as well, it can be - we have more then a year in which to fix any of the
inconsistencies that true reform might cause in any of the ancillary policies.
so while they should be noted, they should not be sen as blocking.

a.