ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 09:09:48 -0400

On 9 Apr 2010, at 08:21, Neuman, Jeff wrote:

> Some registrars are conveniently citing GNSO Recommendation 19 as a reason
> that we should not open up the discussion about having to use accredited
> registrars.

as one of those who voted on:

19. Registries must use only ICANN accredited registrars in registering domain
names and may not discriminate among such accredited registrars.

i understood it to mean that if registrars were used for registration, they had
to be ICANN accredited and that if registrars were used they had to be used
with equivalent access.

i also understood at the time, that the Registries and Registrars were
discussing the relationship at the time and were going to inform the rest of us
of what they had ironed out some time in the future.

a.