ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:05:52 -0400

Comments below:

On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Neuman, Jeff wrote:

> Jon,
>
>  I think you have missed my points, so it was probably my fault.
>
> 1.  My point with respect to certain SRs are that there are no real
> “registrar” functions or for that matter real ‘registry” functions.  In other
> words, no need for EPP transactions, no need for a traditional registrar/end
> user relationship, and no need for a WHOIS database as we know it today.

JN:  I agree that certain functions might not apply depending on the name will
be used.  We should not pick and choose up front which requirements might apply
based on potential use.  The SRs should sign up for the registrar requirements
and protections, including maintaining a Whois database, so anyone in the world
could see the contact information via Whois.  It would not be difficult to have
every second level name listed in Whois with the same information.

> 2.  I NEVER said that contact information for the domain names should not be
> provided.  Far from it.  What I said is that there is no need for the
> traditional WHOIS database since the contact information for every name may
> be the same person.  Thus, it should be acceptable for the owner of the space
> to put up on its webpage that “Person X, Y, Z is the contact person for every
> name” and “here is who you contact”.  There is no need for Port 43 WHOIS
> access, nor any need to follow WHOIS protocols.

JN:  Disagree.  Some consumers rely on the Whois database -- contact
information on the website might be insufficient.  What if the site stops
resolving for some reason?  There is a thick whois requirement for New TLDs,
should SRs be exempt from that as well?

> 3.  UDRP – this is an issue that needs to be explored, because I do believe
> that a UDRP may be inapplicable to certain Single Registrant TLD, in that
> there may be no mechanism to transfer a domain name.  That does not mean that
> IPR complaints cannot be lodged, but I think your United example is pretty
> weak in this situation as your example may or may not qualify for a single
> registrant TLD.

JN:  Per the discussion with Fred, a UDRP could result in a take-down vs. a
transfer.  Regardless of the SR name, an entity could use it to infringe on a
competitor (i.e. neustrar.verisign, coke.pepsi, honda.toyota, etc.).

> 4. I completely disagree with you that creating exceptions to Recommendation
> 19 is out of scope, but certainly understand why you and Tim want it to be.

JN:  No doubt -- it seems like you have said so almost every day on this list,
and I understand why you have done so.